PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Pressure in gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Default Pressure in gas tank?

I think the source of my check engine light has to do with my gas tank. I will take into dealer when I get carpet installed but I wanted to ask you guys what you thought. I noticed that when I open the gas tank, it releases ALOT of pressure ever since my flooding incident. When I tried to get gas the other day, the nozzle would pump alittle, then click like the tank was full. I thought it was just that station, so i went to the one by my house I always use. Well, after about 3 gallons, click. Pull nozzle out put back in, pump a few seconds, then click, like its full. Yes I know that the new nozzles require you to push all the way in, and I've pumped gas before, so I know its not me or the pump.(I only say that because of the inevitable "are you sure your doing it right?" response! So, what could it be? I just want to know if the dealer is going to try to screw me when I go in. Anyone have any experience with this kind of problem? The Onstar diagnostic said an evaporitive emission problem. I thought the O2 sensor was the prob like previous replies said in my last post, but now i'm curious

Old 01-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Pressure in gas tank?

I muddedmy Duece pretty hardcore and got the CEI....

I saw your other posts/thread but responded to this one... sorry I had issues this week...

they replaced the evaporative cannister

P0446 if you can get the scanner on it...

This was one of a few of the play holes that day...

Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 PM

was it a warranty repair and did it cause the gas tank issue?

Old 01-21-2008, 11:49 PM

The Blow back could be a kink/dirt in in the secondary air/pressure line. That may be why the Gas nozzles are sensing the gas kickback. Reason I say that is when you fill your tank with gas you are displacing air in it, the air has to go somewhere, usually there is a smaller tube that runs along the main inlet tube to allow air to be pushed out behind the nozzle at the top of the filler neck. The charcoal cannister is for absorbing the gas vapors from the tank it should not effect the the gas flow into the tank but if it filled up with water and it filters the blowback then it would be critical. I am assuming you put some dry gas in the tank.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:06 AM

what do you mean "dry gas". And if it is what you think it is, is it repairable, and if so, under warranty?

Old 01-22-2008, 10:36 AM

I don't hear pressure release when removing the gas cap. I think it is supposed to be vented. Is the cap defective?

Old 01-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

At you local auto parts. If you are in the north, where it does occaisionally get cold?

Dry gas is an ethanol-based additive used inautosto prevent any water in the fuel from freezing, or to restore combustive power to gasspoiled by water. It is a liquid that is added in to the fuel tank, that absorbs the water and keeps it in solution.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:18 PM

I've never seen "Dry Gas" in this part of the country, but you should be able to find "HEAT" which comes in a red or yellow bottle (one is only for 4 cycle engines, the other will also work in 2 cycles). Chances are that the problem is water in the carbon canister preventing it from breathing properly, but when a vacuum is created, it is going to draw air and moisture from through the canister, so a treatment to remove water from the fuel would be a good idea..... but get the canister and the lines to it checked out.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

They replaced my canister under warranty and they replaced the vent solenoid not under warranty on my 2...

Solenoid $25.97
Labor $47.15

Cannister (warranty) $71.00
Labor (warranty) $63.67

and to answer your question about pressure... I dunno... We don't pump our own gas.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:56 AM

My 06 H3 is doing the same thing. vacuum pressure when opening the gas cap, can't fill it quickly at the pump and the check engine lite is on. A local mechanic told me there are 2 fuel pressure sensors that somehow vents the fumes into the engine to burn rather than venting into the atmosphere we breath. he said one or both of the sensors are defective. If I knew which one, I'd replace it myself. I'm not having much luck on finding info about these sensors.
JP

Originally Posted by josh1899
I think the source of my check engine light has to do with my gas tank. I will take into dealer when I get carpet installed but I wanted to ask you guys what you thought. I noticed that when I open the gas tank, it releases ALOT of pressure ever since my flooding incident. When I tried to get gas the other day, the nozzle would pump alittle, then click like the tank was full. I thought it was just that station, so i went to the one by my house I always use. Well, after about 3 gallons, click. Pull nozzle out put back in, pump a few seconds, then click, like its full. Yes I know that the new nozzles require you to push all the way in, and I've pumped gas before, so I know its not me or the pump.(I only say that because of the inevitable "are you sure your doing it right?" response! So, what could it be? I just want to know if the dealer is going to try to screw me when I go in. Anyone have any experience with this kind of problem? The Onstar diagnostic said an evaporitive emission problem. I thought the O2 sensor was the prob like previous replies said in my last post, but now i'm curious