PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Power steering gear question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 07:44 AM
Default Power steering gear question

Hi folks.
My 2005 H2 recently had a water-pump put on, then just a day or more after, I noticed another leak from the power steering gear pitman arm. It leaked maybe a fist round puddle at worse, and some times only a few drops.

I had to drive on it for a week until part and mechanic could install new, which it drove normal up until day of service. After mechanic installed new steering gear, he said it felt good for only a moment, then it stiffened, give it gas it loosened, etc.He finally lost all power steering and checked hoses, which he said had a slow flow of fluid was running out(I assume it was suppose to be stronger).

So I picked up another power steering pump and awaiting for his results on that fix.

Does anyone have some input on why this happened? Was there a purge problem or maybe just bad luck with it?

Thanks everyone.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:37 AM

many times when you changeout one component like your steering gear box its prudent to flush out the whole PS system as there could be contamination in the fluid. In fact the warranty usually covers that to protect themselves. When the gearbox went out there probably was a loss of pressure to operate it within specs. But without gauges to asertain that fact its just a educated guess. Now with new PS pump and new steering gear make sure you get a NEW PS hose as well. It would be a waste if that hose blew.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:34 PM

Has anyone replaced the power steering oil cooler in 2005 H2? I can't find any steps to do it anywhere or order the OEM part. It looks basic (2 bolts) but it's the 2 hoses that concern me. Is it a DIY job or dealer/mechanic? Thank you. John