PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Powder Coated Rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Default Powder Coated Rims

I purchased an extra set of factory rims and had them powder coated. I picked them up on Wednesday and had them installed. I am really happy with them. I went with a flat black finish. Now I just need to have the center caps painted to match, although, I kind of like the way the centers look the way they are now. Tell me what you think. I have 2 sets of center caps, so I suppose I could swap them out whenever I wanted.

Attached Thumbnails Powder Coated Rims-090213-008.jpg   Powder Coated Rims-090213-012.jpg   Powder Coated Rims-090213-010r.jpg   Powder Coated Rims-090213-011r.jpg   Powder Coated Rims-090213-009.jpg  

Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 AM

They look great. I think I'd like a plainer center cap in black rather than the chrome, but they don't look bad without any cap.

BTW, what did that set you back?

Old 02-13-2009, 11:12 AM

It looks great with those center caps. The Black thats already on the center caps accents it nicely... Black On BLACK!! Now paint the grill!!

Old 02-13-2009, 11:17 AM

Im painting my grille soon, I bought an extra one on ebay, Ill post an update once its completed

Old 02-13-2009, 12:01 PM

Go black on the caps...I will eventually be doing this to mine! I will most likely go with aftermarket rims though.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by bflank
They look great. I think I'd like a plainer center cap in black rather than the chrome, but they don't look bad without any cap.

BTW, what did that set you back?

I paid $350 for 5 rims. I stopped by a body shop at lunch to get a price on painting the center caps. It was $140 for 5 center caps. I think I will pass on tha one. I may be at Autozone buying some sandpaper and a can of paint.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:28 PM

it looks nice and it would look even nicer if u paint the caps too (just an opinion) (^_^)

Old 02-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Thumbs up

dkamp, thanks for the photos. I just dropped-off a set of 5, the same style as yours (picked them up used on ebay [non-chrome] for $250 shipped), to be powdercoated today. They should be done next week and I can't wait to replace my stock chrome-package wheels with these!

I'm paying $55 per rim, $275 total (plus tax of course), includes prep-work, sandblasting and what not. I'm going with semi-gloss black.

I'm still looking to buy a set of caps to paint black (and to preserve my chrome caps with my stock chrome rims), and will probably paint them myself.

Blackening-out the grill is next, which I'm also thinking about doing myself - or maybe have it line-xed, dunno yet.

Yours looks great, keep us posted on the caps and grill! So far I've replaced the chrome handles and mirrors with black. After the wheels, caps, and grill are done black, I'll be joining the 'murdered-out' club!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by timpossible
dkamp, thanks for the photos. I just dropped-off a set of 5, the same style as yours (picked them up used on ebay [non-chrome] for $250 shipped), to be powdercoated today. They should be done next week and I can't wait to replace my stock chrome-package wheels with these!

I'm paying $55 per rim, $275 total (plus tax of course), includes prep-work, sandblasting and what not. I'm going with semi-gloss black.

I'm still looking to buy a set of caps to paint black (and to preserve my chrome caps with my stock chrome rims), and will probably paint them myself.

Blackening-out the grill is next, which I'm also thinking about doing myself - or maybe have it line-xed, dunno yet.

Yours looks great, keep us posted on the caps and grill! So far I've replaced the chrome handles and mirrors with black. After the wheels, caps, and grill are done black, I'll be joining the 'murdered-out' club!
I thought $350 was a good price. $275 is even sweeter. I almost went with semi-gloss. I plan on painting my caps this weekend. I have 4 extra caps so I can try it out. I am not a good painter.

The grill will be next. I like the spray on bed liner look. Does Line-X work well on plastic? Post some pics when you get installed.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:27 PM

YEOW.. I was quoted $150 EACH!! I decided to have a bit more fun and ordered a powder coating gun kit on eBay. I'll start off with spoons and anythign metal I can get my hands on... then move to the billet handles I bought... then to the wheels after some practice... though maybe the wheels matter less and will be second in the list since they will likely get messed up sooner than the handles ever will... $140 for the gun some powder and other stuff to do the job.

Quick Reply: Powder Coated Rims