PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Post Head Replacement Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 05:45 PM
JMO
Default Post Head Replacement Problem

I picked up my H3 at the dealer after a two day stint for the inevitable head replacement (mine went at 29,500 miles). The service manager refers to me as his best customer as my H3 has been in the shop 12 times in the past year for various problems (5x for a SERVICE 4WD, 2x for rattling lights, 2x for SERVICE Engine (unrelated to the head), 2x for recall work and the lastly the head replacement. The service manager has been as accomodating as he can be but this last trip, trip #13, really pissed me off. I drove a total of 12 miles before the H3 shut off on me at highway speed and the dash lit up like a christmas tree. I had to horse my H3 to the side of the road without power steering or power brakes!!! After about 2 minutes it re-started and I was able to get 30 seconds down the road before it happened again. Talk about a safety hazard!! The service manager was very apologetic and dispatched a tow truck to pick me up and had a new loaner H3 for me to drive. Has anyone had similar problems post head replacement? My dealer advised that they re-flashed the software and that's what may have caused the problem. I can't imagine my wife driving the H3 and having the car shut off while driving, someone could have been hurt or worse. [:@]

Old 03-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Default RE: Post Head Replacement Problem

Sounds like you got a "Bummer" not a Hummer.
I hope they get it fixed. Soundsllike an electrical or computer problem?Maybe a wire conection is loose post head replacement?

Have you checked into thelemon laws? (5x for servioce 4x4 is too much)

I just picked up my H3 last night after the head replacement (10,000 miles). Before I drove it off the lotI looked under the hood and every thing looked in place and no wires were hanging etc. Fluid levels looked good too.

I was worried about something going wrong on the fwy on the way home but so far so good. I am going to drive it some more before taking a road trip or camping trip.

I called GM to ask for engine only warranty extension and found my contact was no longer in that department. Now to star over on the phone calls.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:46 PM

I had a similar problem and have not had the head issue yet. Knock on Wood. The dealer had to replace my entire under hood fuse box. It was shorting and the vehicle would shut off driving down the road. Did your dash say "abs fault" and "traction control failure". Those are the codes that came up on my dash when it occurred several times.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: brachilius

I had a similar problem and have not had the head issue yet. Knock on Wood. The dealer had to replace my entire under hood fuse box. It was shorting and the vehicle would shut off driving down the road. Did your dash say "abs fault" and "traction control failure". Those are the codes that came up on my dash when it occurred several times.
...and me. Here's a copy of a previous thread:

Picked up the H3 from service this afternoon and for anyone that has the inside scoop on error codes and bulletins they found 5 error codes: P1682, P2101, P0036, P0030, P1516. This led them to Bulletin #PIP3508C. My receipt says the bulletin instructed them to remove and reinstall the UBEC and reset the codes.

They did mention that they have experienced this a few times. "A loose connector leading into the main fusebox under the hood" is how they described it. The car acted like it was running on 2 cylinders and we had no choice but to tow it in.

BTW- This happened at 500mi.

-Brian