PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

possibly tranny/transfer case issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Default possibly tranny/transfer case issue

So a little background on me. I bought my 06 h3 at 93,000 km. Had the Motor replaced at 103,000 km, I am currently at 113,000 km at the body. The reason for replacing the motor was over heating, bad heads, and a cracked flex plate. I decided it was better to spend the money on replacing with a new motor than spending money on repairs that the previous owners clearly beat up on.
So now... when I put my 3 in reverse and I put some gas to it, the vehicle still moves in reverse but it cuts power drastically and it jerks while moving in reverse. If i put slight pressure on the pedal while in reverse then there is no problem. Also, today I got underneath my 3 and noticed there was brown residue underneath my transfer case (it could possibly be old oil from when I had my cracked flex plate) it had a slight red but more of a brown color to it. It was not fresh.
I have owned 3 fords that I've never had problems with and I was hesitant to buy the 3, but I just loved it so much that I had to have it. This is the first car I've ever taken off road. Ive owned 2 mustangs and an explorer. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, the only off road go'ers here is strictly toyota, or jeep. I have a buddy who has a a fj cruiser with mud tires. Ohh damn!! are these people cockey about there rigs!! But thats enough of my blabbering. Right now there is a guy selling a 07 h3 tranny, and a 06 colorado transfer case for $300. I was thinking of possibly buying those, and having them rebuilt (to reduce down time because I'm a student). Good idea or bad? My damn shop rate at the dealer is $152 an hour so I probably wont go that way.
Although, I am studying automotive service technology so I plan on doing all this myself, but it will take me atleast a couple months to know what I'm doing.
Sorry for the long details. Let me know!!!