PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Ported Throttle Body Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Default Ported Throttle Body Problem

Hey everyone one. I have a 2010 H3 Base Model w/a Volant CAI, GM Performance Cat Back Exhaust, and a PCM Tune from PCM For Less. I got a Supermodulation Ported Throttle body last month and been having issues installing it and need some help.

Whenever I put the ported TB in and start the truck it I get the message Service Stab Sys, Traction Failed, Reduced Power across the message panel when I start it. If I put my original back in I have no issues. I've tried a few things w/no luck. I've unplugged the battery and left it unplugged for 17 hours to reset any memory and then did the install and still got the exact same messages. I also tried touching the negative battery cable to the positive to drain any caps and that didn't work either. Does anyone know why I would be getting these error messages w/the ported TB and how to prevent it and why when I put my original back in it goes away?

In case anyone is wondering here are my steps for installing it:
  1. Disconnected battery
  2. Removed Powertrain Control Module B fuse (number 25 on my H3).
  3. Removed the EVAP pipe from the TB.
  4. Removed all 4 bolts of the TB and pulled it out a bit so I could get a the engine wiring harness easier.
  5. Unplugged the engine wiring harness from the TB.
  6. Seated the new TB and hand screwed in all 4 bolts.
  7. Plugged in the EVAP pipe.
  8. Tightened all 4 bolts to 89 lbs/in.
  9. Plugged in the engine wiring harness.
  10. Reinserted the Powertrain Control Module B fuse.
  11. Reconnected the battery.
  12. Started the truck.
I've cleaned my TB in the past so I know how to remove it and install it and since it is working fine when my original is back in I know my installation technique isn't causing the problem b/c if so I would be seeing the issue w/my original.

Any help would be great b/c I hate having this expensive paper weight sitting in my tool bin.

- Jason

Last edited by jvorpahl; 05-28-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 AM

Contact Mr. Supermodulation and tell him of your issues. He prob knows exactly what the issues are and it's prob a quick fix.

Or go on the Canyon/Colorado sites and look for sinilar issues as yours.

I haven't needed nor wanted 10hp @ over 5000rpm so I never did any research into the ported TBs.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds to me like you may have a bad throttle position sensor in the PP TB?

Your post says started, but how long have you actually let the motor run once started with the PP TB? Your PCM needs to learn the new throttle position, its gonna take a few minutes (unless it is bad).

Old 05-29-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Sounds to me like you may have a bad throttle position sensor in the PP TB?

Your post says started, but how long have you actually let the motor run once started with the PP TB? Your PCM needs to learn the new throttle position, its gonna take a few minutes (unless it is bad).
When I started the truck the warning messages came up right away. So I turned off the truck b/c I was told the messages are not normal. Do you think they might go away if I leave the truck running?

Also I am working w/the Supermodulation guy and he has been great. Unplugging the battery and leaving it overnight and touching the pos and neg cables was his idea. I talked to him last night and we are going to try another TB b/c he is out of ideas.

The reason I posted here was incase someone knew how to fix this issue so I could avoid having to get a new ported TB.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM

Ok, so he can't figure it out either. Hmmm....looks like the old TB goes back on and you wait until a new "paper weight" arrives.

I hope it is something simple and the new TB installs and runs without any issues.