PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Popping Sound When Starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Popping Sound When Starting

Pop Tarts, but no pop sound!

Old 02-10-2008, 03:47 PM

Poping in the speakers means a voltage spike, i.e. like taking a 9volt battery and putting it across the speaker terminals to see if the're still good (old trick) they pop. That doesn't mean its not a grounding problem, but more than likely a surge problem from the positive side. Check your fuses one might be loose (getting a small arc when power is applied when starting), ignition relay could be loose or have a loose connection. Powerwire/cable going into the radio could be loose on the connector. Speaker connections could be loose too. Does it do it with the radio turned off and you go to start it and it still pops?

Old 02-16-2008, 04:39 PM

Thank you for your responses... The sound happens with the radio and all accessories off. The Dealer has checked the wiring out in the truck, and the adio engineer has been notified but they are stumped. And last we spoke to the dealer all of them do it. but as the replies have proven they all do not do it. Please keep the input coming from other 08 H3 Owners.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Have your dealer go around the lot with you starting his other 08 H3s. I promise you that you won't hear a lot of popping sounds.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:34 PM

Mine pops once in awhile.......[:@]

Old 02-16-2008, 10:26 PM

08 h3 lux with monsoon, no pop with stock 6 disc radio, when i changed to a kenwood dvd head unit. it makes a small pop when i open the key.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:07 AM

No popping on my Wife's 2008 H3.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:36 PM

Its under warranty and the "Dealer" already looked at it and it still does it! Tell them you want the radio replaced, and have them show you the old oneso theydon't do the "I say what I did but didn't do what I said." Mark your radio with a small piece of tape or a tiny tiny dab ofnail polish (use a tooth pick) and remember the the spot. Now only do that if they say they are going to replace it. This is just to keep them honest, I don't really trust dealers if I can't watch them work on my cars then I find away so I can.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:39 PM

can you tell if it is comming out of one speaker or all of them. just a thought. i've installed a lot of audio systems and as you said some amps will cause this to happen when the gain is set too high but not real sure how factory amps are. good luck.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Our1stH3

We have a 2008 H3, it is about a month old and has had a popping sound when you start the truck. It has been back to the dealer and they are stumped, they have had technicians brought in and they do not have a clue. They say that all the H3s do it but we've tried at least 8 and heard no popping sound. The dealer claims it is happening to all of his... So how many H3 owners are actually having this problem. (When you turn the key to start the truck you get a pop out of the audio speakers. This is with the radio off.) So please try it and let us know.
Not sure if this helps. I program my own PCM using HPTuners. After the write cycle, I hear a pop out of the speakers even though the radio is off. I have an 06 with the monsoon. This is just a guess, but it seems like after I program the PCM, the PCM has to relink with the other modules (BCM, etc) and this is when I hear a pop. Maybe, you have a power or a communications issue when you go to start???

Quick Reply: Popping Sound When Starting