PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Please listen to my engine knock....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Default Please listen to my engine knock....

Ok, got the truck back from the dealer, no broken bolts on my manifold so that's good. My truck started knocking bad again tonight, here's a sound clip. This noise is really bothering me and causing me to worry, I hate the sound, I can just imagine whats going on inside my engine and it's making me cringe.

Does anyone know what this might be? It definitely increases with RPM's. Also, this is after driving for at least 20 minutes on the freeway and getting home.

http://monstersofcrok.com/uploader/files/1/Knock.m4a

Don't mind the funny link, I own the site and it's an inside joke from a game I used to play.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:09 PM

Was it knocking like that when you took it to the dealership?

Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 PM

sounds like a exhaust leak to me I had a jeep wrangler make the exact same sound it was the header gasket was messed up and once it warmed up it would start making that sound.

Last edited by Hooked; 03-23-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by krlemoine
Was it knocking like that when you took it to the dealership?
It doesn't always knock like that, so yeah it was doing it when I took it there, but it wasn't while it was there so they could fix it. I recorded it as proof and they're taking it back until they can find whats causing the knocking.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 PM

Hope all goes well for you and they find it fast... Keep us updated on the cause...

Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 AM

Oil pressure seem ok? Oil level? I would go pick up a good auto stethoscope and start probing the engine. If it is an exhaust leak the steth will find it immediately. I don't however think its an exhaust leak. Sounds too low pitched to me. It sounds like actual knock. If its coming from the top of the motor I would say look at rocker arms and valve springs (also check plugs and look for ONE that looks different) If its in the bottom then obviously look in the pan at the bearings. Once again how is the oil pressure?

Old 03-24-2011, 02:07 AM
Banned

ahhh, pretty hard to look at rocker arms,valve springs

ahhh,pretty hard to look at bearings

ahhh, i dont think its the plugs

ahhh, how wood u check oil pressure

i think u got a mechanic problem

Last edited by drtom; 03-24-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:51 AM

If it starts after the vehicle is warm that goes against conventional wisdom of being an exhaust leak no? It sounds like something is actually making physical contact. Hard to believe a dealer would let you leave like that but I guess it doesnt surprise me. I would get it back in soon, it can't be good whatever it is.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM

It sounds like its coming from the bottom of the engine, its loudest in the wheel wells. My oil level is fine, tad below the center of the checkered area.

I'm upset they let me leave like that too, but it didn't do it while it was there so I guess they either didn't believe me, or couldn't find it if it wasn't doing it.

It's going back in and I told them I do NOT want the truck back unless they can find the problem and fix it. I said I don't care what you do, send it home with a tech for the night, drive it around until it starts doing it and then figure out why. There is no reason my two year old $55,000+ adventure package Alpha should sound like a 30 year old washing machine.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Hooked
sounds like a exhaust leak to me I had a jeep wrangler make the exact same sound it was the header gasket was messed up and once it warmed up it would start making that sound.
I thought the same thing, my old toyota sounded the same, exhaust manifold leak.

Quick Reply: Please listen to my engine knock....