PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Pioneer AVIC-D3

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Default Pioneer AVIC-D3

Finally got my Pioneer AVIC-D3 installed in my H3 this weekend. I had a few lessons learned, but overall, it went well.

I used the Metra GMOS-04 harness. I have the Monsoon system with OnStar, so this seemed logical. The GMOS-04 also provided a few other leads, the speed sensor, reverse sensor and parking brake (even though I chose not to use it). The only problem I had with the harness was using the wrong illumination light. Use the Orange/White wire!

For the mounting kit, I used the American International GMK382 double-DIN kit. I had to cut out the middle bar to allow the AVIC-D3 to fit. A little careful work with a file will make it look it was never there. I still had to remove the tab that supported the stock radio in the rear. I really didn't want to use a saw or grinder in there so I just broke it out using a pair of pliers.

The GPS antenna gave me another challenge. I used a little L brace and mounted it where the factory GPS antenna would go. The magnetic base of the antenna held it firmly on the L brace. Only problem was that it did not get reception there. Thanks to TonyH3, I found the best location is under the plastic runner that runs along the top sides.

As usual. I have taken a few pics and have updated my mod list:
AVIC-D3 Installation Pics
Mod List

I will be selling the PA11-GM iPod module I removed. I have the wire harness and the later firmware that displays the current song on the radio display (after pushing the DISP button). Drop me a message if interested. I would like $75 (shipping included, US only). I may be persuaded to lower the price if I do not get any hits . . .

Old 03-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Default RE: Pioneer AVIC-D3

I think what you need is a few more electrical gadgets in there

Turned out nice. looks professionally done. Good job!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:11 AM

That looks really good. I wanted to get the AVIC-D3 but I cheaped out and went with the 7900bt instead...oh well left room for the cb lol...keep us updated on how well you like/dislike the avic.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:01 AM

You can't go wrong with a Pioneer! Good choice!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:37 AM

So far, I really like this unit. The GPS is very responsive. The iPod controls are natural, almost like controlling it directly. My only irritation so far seems to be the fixed position of the screen. I see this as a bonus as well as it will be something that will not break.

I need to update the pics with the GPS antenna mounting. I broke the trim on the driver's side of the windshield. As soon as I get a new one, I will document the process correctly to assist others in the future.

I did find a hardwire kit for my wireless backup camera. I am hoping it uses an NTSC composite signal that I can pipe into the radio and remove the extra video screen.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:11 PM

looks great. i may have to go with that also. definitely please post install pics with the antenna location when you can.

did you get the $200 rebate?
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...n-Dash/AVIC-D3

Old 04-01-2008, 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Evadd

looks great. i may have to go with that also. definitely please post install pics with the antenna location when you can.

did you get the $200 rebate?
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...n-Dash/AVIC-D3
Haven't yet. Thanks for the reminder!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:50 AM

I have the 07 H3X will that interface work with it? I do have the Nav system. Let me know if it does and it displays you got a deal today, if you still have it.

Thanks bro

Old 04-04-2008, 11:16 AM

Looks like it should work . . .

Here is the official application guide: LINKY

Not sure if I still have the manual . . . I will look this weekend. If all else fails, I still have the pics on my website from when I installed it in my H3: LINKY

If you are still interested after reading the docs, shoot me a PM and we will get the deal under way.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-D3