PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Pingping noise when release the brake

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Default Pingping noise when release the brake

I heard a small pingping noise when I release the brake. The sound seems come from the pedal area. It doesn't happen every time but it happens more and more often.
Actually someone reported the same problem in this post:
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...al-help-26707/
Originally Posted by h3girl
Hi there,

I am experiencing a pinging noise when I press my breaks and it happens when I release the break pedal as well. The dealership finally heard the noise, but are unable to figure out what the probelm is. Any thoughts on what this could be? Basically, it sounds like a guitar string pulled really tight. It happens most of the time, but seems to be more frequent when I have been driving for a while.

I would appreciate any thoughts you can share!!

h3girl
The only difference is I only heard the noise when releasing the pedal.
Some one suggested the source of the noise may be the "Caliper pins or a sticky caliper". Could some one tell me how can I check this out? Or what do you think the problem is?
Thanks a lot!

Update:
Took the truck to a shop. They checked everything and everything is fine, so they just lubricated the linkage. Now the noise is gone, maybe it will come back but since the brake are fine I won't bother. Thanks everyone for giving me advice.

Last edited by nelsonhood; 06-25-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:30 PM

Find the source of the noise, and just clean/lube, then it will be fine and quiet!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz

Find the source of the noise, and just clean/lube, then it will be fine and quiet!
Thanks for your reply, but in this case, how should I find the source of the noise? What should I looking for? I have very little experience...

Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 PM

Honestly, it's just as simple as HummerZ said. If you have little experience, this is not a problem for you to tackle with your experience level. Please don't take that as a put down, but from your answer to what he wrote, Take it to a shop. They will be able to figure it out quickly. Hopefully the calipers are just sticking a little. Sometimes the pins get gunked up and stick a little. The proper way to do it is get the tire off, caliper apart, clean it, then grease. Without experience you probably don't want to get into that. It may not be this problem but it may be, so you may just want to take it to a shop.

Last edited by egroegart; 06-17-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by egroegart
Honestly, it's just as simple as HummerZ said. If you have little experience, this is not a problem for you to tackle with your experience level. Please don't take that as a put down, but from your answer to what he wrote, Take it to a shop. They will be able to figure it out quickly. Hopefully the calipers are just sticking a little. Sometimes the pins get gunked up and stick a little. The proper way to do it is get the tire off, caliper apart, clean it, then grease. Without experience you probably don't want to get into that. It may not be this problem but it may be, so you may just want to take it to a shop.
If it requires to take the caliper apart, it's not something I can do now. I think I'll take it to a shop. One last question, for this kind of job on a Hummer, should I always go to the dealer or a random shop (I'll find one with good reviews) will be capable to do it?
Thank you very much!

Old 06-17-2013, 09:25 PM

Sometimes you can get away with just spraying them with some grease and then work the brakes in and out, but then again, you have to know where to spray. Someone else may chime in to maybe explain how to do it yourself. I just really know how to explain it. But if they are gunked up, the best thing really is to get it apart and clean and grease. I really wouldn't have a problem taking it to a local shop that you trust. This really shouldn't be an issue that a mechanic would have trouble with. Let us know what the problem is when you find out. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:36 PM

Same thing with my H3. I've learn to deal with it, since day one. I rarely even nootice it anymore .
The noise comes from the inside the cabin up around the the arm the pedal is attached too. Its a little off color white box with a pin. When the pedal is pressed it pushes the pin in, when realeased the pin comes back out. The noise occurs when i press my brake pedal. Oil won't help.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cajun_Tiger_Hummer
Same thing with my H3. I've learn to deal with it, since day one. I rarely even nootice it anymore .
The noise comes from the inside the cabin up around the the arm the pedal is attached too. Its a little off color white box with a pin. When the pedal is pressed it pushes the pin in, when realeased the pin comes back out. The noise occurs when i press my brake pedal. Oil won't help.
That sounds like the brake/shifter interlock. The pinging is most likely the solenoid.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cajun_Tiger_Hummer
Originally Posted by Foxbat
That sounds like the brake/shifter interlock. The pinging is most likely the solenoid.
Yes I saw it, them actually, there are two boxes and two pins. They are the sensors for a lot of things, like cruise control, stop lamp, transmission..., according to this webpage:
BRAKE PEDAL & MASTER CYLINDER MOUNTING. Fits: 2006 Hummer H3 SUV | Tonkin Online Parts

I tried to press and release the brake pedal. The sound does come from inside the cabin, however, I'm not sure if it's from the two boxes.

Last edited by nelsonhood; 06-20-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 PM

Update:
Took the truck to a shop. They checked everything and everything is fine, so they just lubricated the linkage. Now the noise is gone, maybe it will come back but since the brakes are fine I won't bother. Thanks everyone for giving me advice.

Quick Reply: Pingping noise when release the brake