PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Pedal to the floor... BRAKE pedal!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Default Pedal to the floor... BRAKE pedal!

It seems that my H3's brake pedal slowly goes to the floor as I depress it as if the brake line is leaking somewhere...

example 1: stopped on an incline, trans in Neutral, foot on the brake. slowly the brake pedal goes to the floor and the car rolls back. so I put on the e-brake. no biggie... maybe

example 2: stopping down a hill.... this is dangerous, the pedal slowly goes the floor and the car just keeps rolling.

example 3: 200-300 ft (roughly) normal stop from 25-30 mph by depressing on the brake pedal with normal constant pressure. The pedal again goes to the floor (slowly)

Brake fluid level is OK

Any suggestions or advice?

I think I shouldn't brave it and drive to the dealer right?

This is a frustrating end to a long day...

Old 04-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Default RE: Pedal to the floor... BRAKE pedal!

if it's still under warranty (and it likely is, as an 07), i'd take it in. i definitely would NOT drive it around like that. personally, however, i would drive it to *my* dealer - but that b/c he's literally 2 blocks away. if i were you, i'd get it towed.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:40 PM

Wow, uh, I'd be calling for a tow right away. You don't want to be a 5000 lb missile in traffic.

I'm not a brake expert by any means, and I'm sure some will come along, but obviously you are losing pressure somewhere. Maybe it's not enough to show a drop in brake fluid yet. Or maybe there's air in the line, or contaminated fluid.

You made it to the end of the day without getting hurt. That counts for a lot. Tomorrow, the dealer gives you a loaner and fixes it up. That'll be a good day.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 PM

Sounds like a bad master cylinder, but with all the motors/servos/ and modules attached to it I'm not sure if there's other places the fluid could bypass so I dont know what they'll replace. Keep us informed.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Lots of possibilities; diaprahm in the master cylinder, air or moisture in the line, etc. My guess is the master cylinder. Pretty soon you should notice a drop in your brake fluid level. If you pump the pedal you should get some more stopping power but that is a short term solution. Get your truck in asap.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:33 PM

thanks guys - that's what I've been doing when I needed extra stopping power - pumped the brake pedal.

gotta call the dealer tomorrow - definitely don't want to be a 5000 lb missile in traffic... [&:]

ill keep u guys informed.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck, check your brake fluid and be safe.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:48 PM

If you have to you can shift from Drive down to slow you down, we had the brakes go out on a cherokee once and drove through the city of Lincoln with no brakes

Old 04-11-2008, 09:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Forney

If you have to you can shift from Drive down to slow you down, we had the brakes go out on a cherokee once and drove through the city of Lincoln with no brakes
yup ive had to do that a few times just to be safe...

[&:]

bringing the car in tomorrow, hopefully the loaner will have working brakes

Old 04-14-2008, 01:41 PM

guess what - the brakes fixed themselves on the day I brought it in. The dealer agreed to keep looking however and I'm "stuck" with an 08 Chevy Silverado LT 4x4 Crew Cab.. pretty sweet truck

Quick Reply: Pedal to the floor... BRAKE pedal!