PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

pcm tune questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Default pcm tune questions?

Just wondering if the timing is retarded at all or whats done to achieve more power? I can see you feeling a difference from the firmness of the tranny being set almost like shift kit performance but anything felt by seat of the pants is not power wise. Is there any dyno numbers from before or after? Also hows the a/f ratio after and how many in house dyno's have you done to get the supposed results? I just don't see major gains coming out of a 5 cylinder from just a tune especially a mail order tune. Maybe if it was an aggressive tune but again things like a/f would be affected. I know alot about tuning a vehicle and in no way am I bashing this or calling a bluff but I would like to see results posted or go more in depth about what is done.

For the tuner can you shoot me a PM my way and we can discuss whats involved in the tune and I would gladly give it a try afterwards. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Default RE: pcm tune questions?

and it doesn't work on AWD vehicles, only 4WD

Old 04-30-2007, 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

and it doesn't work on AWD vehicles, only 4WD
You just had to go there didn't you?

BTW: "And There Wuz Cows" --- Chaotic Discord / Dead ringer Records ??????

Old 05-01-2007, 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: dilo2001gt

Just wondering if the timing is retarded at all or whats done to achieve more power? I can see you feeling a difference from the firmness of the tranny being set almost like shift kit performance but anything felt by seat of the pants is not power wise. Is there any dyno numbers from before or after? Also hows the a/f ratio after and how many in house dyno's have you done to get the supposed results? I just don't see major gains coming out of a 5 cylinder from just a tune especially a mail order tune. Maybe if it was an aggressive tune but again things like a/f would be affected. I know alot about tuning a vehicle and in no way am I bashing this or calling a bluff but I would like to see results posted or go more in depth about what is done.

For the tuner can you shoot me a PM my way and we can discuss whats involved in the tune and I would gladly give it a try afterwards. Thanks.
From the factory these trucks are set up pretty conservatively - they don't know who is running what octane, who is using what truck for what purpose, etc so they have to give you a calibration that is safe for everyone. Since we are talking with the customer one on one, we can specialize a tune just for their needs, whether it's towing, daily driving, off roading, etc. and take advantage of the slack that is there from GM.

I don't have any H3 graphs online but you are welcome to check out the Colorado graphs on our website. While the drivetrain differs the engine is the same and the tuning is very similar. At peak the gain is around 10-14hp, but we also pick up a lot of power under the curve (after all who drives around at 6300rpm the entire time?). The kind of power that is more noticeable passing someone, taking off from a stoplight, etc.

We rework the spark tables depending on your octane level, advancing and retarding as needed. Your a/f remains just as safe after the tune as before. We also dabble in the transmission tables, torque management, and other fun killers And it also kind of goes without saying that we can tackle the obvious things like removing a speed limiter or correcting your speedometer for larger tires. Another good thing is that most people are seeing 1-3mpg increases depending on the kind of driving that they do.

We have been met with a lot of success with our H3 tune as evidenced in many posts, our customers feel like it is the missing link that helps to set the H3 straight. I also offer a money back guarantee...if you get it and you don't like it, I will fix it for you or just buy it back.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:34 PM

yeah i wasn't sure as to how the tune would be touched upon. i do alot of dyno tuning with the stang and its more detailed with certain perimeters but i understand what your doing. what software do you use and is though numbers corrected and are those numbers to the wheels?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: dilo2001gt

yeah i wasn't sure as to how the tune would be touched upon. i do alot of dyno tuning with the stang and its more detailed with certain perimeters but i understand what your doing. what software do you use and is though numbers corrected and are those numbers to the wheels?
HPtuners, SAE, and yes to the wheels.