PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

PCM tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Default PCM tune

I have been wanting to get a pcm tune from pcmforless for a while just waiting for the right time financially to buy. I also have looked up jet performance and I have found a good deal on one and was wondering if anyone else has one and what their opinions are on it. All the reviews from other hummer owners are positive and for 200 bucks I'm not sire if I should get it or wait a little while for the pcmforless. I like that I can just unplug it and I'm back to stock. If I go the pcmforless route I will get a tuned pcm and keep the stock one as well that way I can change them out as needed. Thoughts please.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:58 PM

Why would you ever want/need to go back to stock tune?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:19 PM

Good point. I am 99% sure I wouldnt need to but its just nice to know that I can if I need to. maybe for resale if the new owner wouldnt want it. I dont plan on ever selling it but who knows what the future holds.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

With a Jet module, you can remove it to return to stock, but that is its only advantage.

The cons are, you get the changes Jet selects with no ability to select your own preferred variable. The Jet module is not a tune, it is merely an interceptor that tricks your PCM into thinking certain sensor inputs are different than they actually are causing the OEM tune to move to different output locations on the OEM tables and curves resulting in some performance boosts relying on false data. For example, the Jet will report your intake air temp as cooler than it actually is so the PCM will assume that it can increase fuel injector pulse time and advance on the spark curve. From personal experience (not on an H3) they can cause additional cooling system demand in very hot weather, right when you do not want any.

I would much rather operate on reality and do the tune so all input is real, rather than manipulated. The Jet modules do work, you will see some improved performance, but they cannot beat a quality tune.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:51 PM

Thanks for that information Doc! I appreciate your time and the time you put into other ppls posts saving me from having to ask questions that have already been answered.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:40 PM

I still have a stock PCM you never know when you need a retune or need a back up. I would do the PCM4less.. Well worth it!

Old 09-14-2012, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by MeBelovinMyH3
I still have a stock PCM you never know when you need a retune or need a back up. I would do the PCM4less.. Well worth it!

Why would anyone order a PCM when you can just flash the current PCM that we currently have with a "custom" tune for around $375? That way you get 3 tunes to utilize for different fuel grades and they are specific to the vehicle for which the tune is on.