PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Partial painting of chrome grille??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Default Partial painting of chrome grille??

On the net you find some photos where the grille of the H3 was partial painted...see attachment.

I would like to make the same what the guy did in red on my H3 in black....just the indicator part in black.
I don't want the complete fender underneath in black....there I just use my chrome putco covers and paint them in black as well.

My question now is how to do this properly?
If it would be all paint it would be easy as you afterwards seal all off with some layers of clear coat.
How to get a nice line between chrome and black color....and that the paint later does not peel or chip off?
Any experts in our forum?

Attached Thumbnails Partial painting of chrome grille??-24inch_h3_lift.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Banned

im thinking that pix is so , unhummered, its hard to look at,,,my opinion, i couldnt do it

Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 AM

Its really easy. Use tape and mask off the area you dont want to paint black. Then do your coats. You should have a pretty even area, I dont think that I would clear the entire grill because I'd worry about the paint peeling off, you would have to scuff up the chrome to even "attempt" for the paint to stick to even put the clear on it, then you have a shiny scuffed chrome grille. So if it were me, Id paint and clear ONLY the part you paint black.

Also, you might think about it, becuase the reason I think that truck looks good is he has the hood painted a different color.

But if you have chrome underneath on the plastic, it may look good....your choice.

post some pics when your done for sure.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
im thinking that pix is so , unhummered, its hard to look at,,,my opinion, i couldnt do it
As "unhummered" as it looks, I bet that truck could make it out of the driveway after a snow storm without much of a problem.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Banned

hey what can i say, i get my adventure stuck in my side yard!!
if it was painted like that,,,id keep it there!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:48 PM

I do not say I like the overall pait job...it was just to explain in detail what I want to do to my grille.
Many have chrome...many have black....before I turn my one complete to black I want to try something in between.

I will also not use the grille mesh they used...

The issue is that you cannot paint directly on chrome...it will chip off.
Tape off the to be painted area is also not the problem...but how to get a perfect transition from painted to chrome?

ANy professional painter?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:12 AM

False statement bro. If you do it right it will not chip off. I have personal experience with this. Take your time to do it right. And to be honest. Think about it. How do YOU think you can get a good transition of paint to chrome. The ONLY thing that you could do is clear over it. And No sanding=no sticking especially with clear coat alone.

Doesn't take a "professional painter" to know that. It's common sense.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:31 AM

Yeah...you are nice....no sanding is no sticking....and how does the chrome looks like when I sand it and then clear coat it for the area no black paint will be applied and the chrome should stay?...I want to stay with chrome and not brushed chrome style.

Experience is good...but it is cleverer to ask first for advice and then maybe make only good experiences rather than spoil something.

If I would paint the whole grille I would first sand it slightly....use wash primer....then spot primer....wet sanding with grade 1000 or finer....then 3 coats of black and 3 coats of clear....
If I do this only at one part of the chrome grille and the rest stays chrome I will get a step like the stairways in my house...
Where i paint I will sure sand before....what then? Is it enough to directly paint black on the chrome?
It is a chromed plastic part....do I use plastic primer first...or no need as it is chromed...?

There are many questions...and it helps to get good advice from a painter who does this every day!

Old 04-20-2011, 06:44 AM
Banned

Hard to read,insane

Old 04-20-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
Hard to read,insane
Too funny! Bullwheel's posts remind me an awful lot of yours, so the fact that you find them hard to read is mighty humorous to me. lol

Now you know how the rest of the forum feels when they try to read your posts.

As far as the partially painted grille goes, I don't think it would be so hard to sand down the area you want to have painted and leave the rest of the chrome alone. Then you cover the chrome parts and paint the rest of the grille. I am not a painter, so I don't know if that's feasible or not, but it seems like it would work.

Quick Reply: Partial painting of chrome grille??