PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

part time 4wd??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Default part time 4wd??

hey there, the hummer h3 is awd and after breaking my frond diff 4wding iv been driving around in rwd and have noticed how much better it is on petrol, just wondering id there is a part time 4wd kit out there or iv herd that the chevy colorado 2004 transfer case might work?? any idears

im an australian driveing a hummer so its hard for me to find good answers/parts. cheers

Old 11-11-2013, 06:12 AM

its been reported here that unhooking the front drive shaft doesn't help mileage since the front diff is still being turned by the wheels. also its been said if the shaft was unhooked you would need to use hi lock mode or the h3 wouldn't move .
so its interesting that you are getting better mileage.
are you in lock mode?

btw,if a "kit"was available, it would probably cost a few thousand .
would that really save money on gas.

Last edited by happythree; 11-11-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:34 AM

I get a steady 20 mpg on the highway with my 5 speed 07 H3 with stock adventure tires (285) I know others who's heavy foot and bigger tires do not come close.

What kind of mileage are you getting with your broken front dif ?

Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by willdoesstuff
hey there, the hummer h3 is awd and after breaking my frond diff 4wding iv been driving around in rwd and have noticed how much better it is on petrol, just wondering id there is a part time 4wd kit out there or iv herd that the chevy colorado 2004 transfer case might work?? any idears

im an australian driveing a hummer so its hard for me to find good answers/parts. cheers

if you wanted to have vehicle that has two wheel drive system, why did you buy one of the select few vehicles that are AWD??? it makes no sense

Old 11-11-2013, 12:12 PM

yes, You surely dont need to spin the front going down the freeway. I would also like hubs and disconnect front drive-shaft during the summer, Im very familiar with the usefulness of 4x4 as I live at 6000 ft, its a way of life all winter. HOWEVER you will get criticized by many for even making such a statement on this forum by several know Alls. Mark my words .Good luck

Old 11-11-2013, 04:25 PM

Wh
Originally Posted by byeatts
yes, You surely dont need to spin the front going down the freeway. I would also like hubs and disconnect front drive-shaft during the summer, Im very familiar with the usefulness of 4x4 as I live at 6000 ft, its a way of life all winter. HOWEVER you will get criticized by many for even making such a statement on this forum by several know Alls. Mark my words .Good luck
Why buy a Hummer if you don't want an AWD vehicle?? That is what makes it a Hummer is that it is AWD, and when you change it, it is no longer a Hummer

Old 11-11-2013, 05:42 PM

All good guys hav found a part time 4wd kit :-), an yess im getting great fuel econmy because there is no front dif in my hummer atm because it is getting fixed and im driveing around in hi range, i bought a hummer because they look tuff az but in reality they are weakaz **** for off roading, so far my hummer has all the off road mods from arb and have plans to ditch the ifs and leaf springs. Love the look of my hummer and loveing working on it. I ask questions on here to see if anyone else is maken there hummer az tuff az mine with out changeing its look. And to see if anyone has done what im asking

Old 11-11-2013, 06:19 PM

All good guys hav found a part time 4wd kit :-), an yess im getting great fuel econmy because there is no front dif in my hummer atm because it is getting fixed and im driveing around in hi range, i bought a hummer because they look tuff az but in reality they are weakaz **** for off roading, so far my hummer has all the off road mods from arb and have plans to ditch the ifs and leaf springs. Love the look of my hummer and loveing working on it. I ask questions on here to see if anyone else is maken there hummer az tuff az mine with out changeing its look. And to see if anyone has done what im asking
Yah I bet if the H3 came with a front end disconnect just like other 4x4,s everyone would choose to run 2 wheel drive on the freeway. some just live to argue and find fault in everything they personally dont own. gain mileage and you dont wear front end running gear.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:46 PM

Agree! To each his own...

Idiots remains idiots regardless...

So just enjoy your ride the way you wanted it

and simply ignore the "know it all" guys in here...

Old 11-24-2013, 09:41 AM

I was wondering the same thing about my H3, my dad had a 77 chevy fulltime 4wd and we pulled the front driveshaft and drove in high lock to save on gas until a kit came out that changed out a gear in the transfer case and added lock out hubs. I would be game to change it over and I would seriously think about it when I send mine to mash motors for a conversion. Just make it your own and who cares what other people think.

Quick Reply: part time 4wd??