PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Parking brake - break !

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Default Parking brake - break !

I pulled the release handle on my e-brake and the plastic handle snapped off in my hand
I noticed it is only held to the metal bar/cable by two small plastic tabs (pretty cheap)
Has anyone fixed this themselves or do I need to make a trip to the dealer and
waste a day there ?
Thanks in advance

Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 AM

it will snap right back on, I was doing this all weekend while out wheeling

Old 05-24-2010, 11:22 PM

Same thing happened to me when i was test driving mine. Told the dealer i wasn't buying it unless they fixed it. They replaced the whole Release assembly. The next weekend it happened again. I folded a piece of paper up and stuck it between the two prongs to offer more tension and replaced the handle. All has been well since.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:06 AM

same problem here since day 1 of my 2008 H3 but I just snap it on back to place from time to time. But I make it a point to pull it gently whenever I need to and I just get used to it...Hahaha

Old 04-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Default Parking Brake Handle

Have a 2007 H3 with a 2008 Pioneer AVIC-F700BT. Help..... My pioneer nav system took a dump and need to have it reformatted and the parking brake handle snapped off. It still works, but i can't just snap the handle back onto the cable. It appears that there is the plastic piece still in the handle. I just need to get that plastic piece. I don't want to have to go back to the dealer for a new cable assy. Any ideas? As far as the Pioneer Nav/Stereo, anyone know of anybody that does repairs and reformatting. Pioneer wants $200. Yikes! Guess better than buying a new one for $900.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by kacorley
Have a 2007 H3 with a 2008 Pioneer AVIC-F700BT. Help..... My pioneer nav system took a dump and need to have it reformatted and the parking brake handle snapped off. It still works, but i can't just snap the handle back onto the cable. It appears that there is the plastic piece still in the handle. I just need to get that plastic piece. I don't want to have to go back to the dealer for a new cable assy. Any ideas? As far as the Pioneer Nav/Stereo, anyone know of anybody that does repairs and reformatting. Pioneer wants $200. Yikes! Guess better than buying a new one for $900.
I refused to take it back to the dealer after my handle broke awhile back.
Can't see myself sitting there for a day while they swap out the parking brake system
Even if it was free.
I pulled the now bare wire cable end out and held it with some vise grips.
I then used my PC11 epoxy and glued the handle back onto the cable end.
(PC11 epoxy is a marine grade epoxy)
I made sure the handle was horizontal and let it sit over night.
It has worked great. Now the handle is held securely and not just by two plastic tabs
Now I can pull on the handle like a lab monkey on amphetamines

Old 04-07-2011, 07:04 PM

mine broke too.... i just pull the little nub,,,,lol

Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by branstone
mine broke too.... i just pull the little nub,,,,lol
Try to snap it back in. Mine does it all the time.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Banned
Default strictly fwiw

this is strange reading for me since i ,,NEVER,, use the e brake,,EVER! being a previous ford man,we just knew it would be trouble,they ALWAYS stuck,even complete new assemblies would in short order stick.
i liked a lot of things about fords but after a while the use of e brake gets bred out of your genes,(jeans!).so its a habit. of course im in flatland indiana,not my homeland of pa hill country. here in ind. u can park in neutral!!. if i ever get on a slope i instinctively park at an angle to avoid park stress on the trans.
every time i stop on a slope i shift to neutral to see if i drift quickly, a good brake test. i had a pinto that would sit there!!,after a caliper change,,,the brake hose had swelled shut,would not allow the pressure to relax and the piston to move back.well,enuf

Old 04-08-2011, 09:59 AM

I'm with you on this one drtom.
In 40 years of driving I have used the e-brake maybe 10 times.
It's just not part of my normal routine.

Quick Reply: Parking brake - break !