PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Parking Brake Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Default Parking Brake Adjustment

Here in the state of MD in order to pass our inspection our parking break has to work. The parking break lever works, thelight works, but the actull parking break doesnt work, and the adjustment in the lever itself doesnt work. The bluehummer manual I bought says refer to the owners manual for "specific adjustment." And....well my H1 didnt come with a owners manual....so, can anyone tell me how to adjust this so it engages and my parking brake works. I havent had time to crawl underneath my truck yet, so i might be able to fix the problem, but I had some free time and thought I would ask.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Default RE: Parking Brake Adjustment

When you say "the adjustment doesn't work" do you mean that the **** just spins with very little resistance no matter how far you turn it? Or does it not turn at all?

Have you inspected the linkage to make sure it is all intact? There is a long "rod" that runs parallel to the frame, and then two cables join it and run to each brake caliper, terminating at each rear caliper.
If all of that looks intact and "tight enough" then have someone pull the lever while you are under the truck so you can watch the mechanism at the rear caliper and see if it moves.

That should narrow down the location of your problem...

Old 05-11-2007, 11:40 AM

ORIGINAL: hmcoleap

When you say "the adjustment doesn't work" do you mean that the **** just spins with very little resistance no matter how far you turn it? Or does it not turn at all?

Have you inspected the linkage to make sure it is all intact? There is a long "rod" that runs parallel to the frame, and then two cables join it and run to each brake caliper, terminating at each rear caliper.
If all of that looks intact and "tight enough" then have someone pull the lever while you are under the truck so you can watch the mechanism at the rear caliper and see if it moves.

That should narrow down the location of your problem...

The *** does spin, and it does adjust the lever. It makes the lever harder to pull up, but the parking break doesnt hold when I put the H1 in N. I have been underneath the h1 and do know what your talking about when you say the long rod and two cables connect to it. On the end of that long rod, there is a nut, do I just tighten that to make the cables pull tighter? Thanks again!

Old 05-11-2007, 03:19 PM

Is the mechanism on the caliper moving when someone pulls the lever?
You'll need someone to watch at the rear caliper while someone else pulls the lever.

How worn down are your brake pads?

Old 05-11-2007, 09:15 PM

You'll need someone to watch at the rear caliper while someone else pulls the lever.

Honestly I dont know if the mechanism on the caliper moves when somone pulls the lever, ill have to check that tommorow. And honestly I dont know how warn my pads are.....yet another thing ill check tommorowlol

Old 05-15-2007, 05:44 PM

The rear pads look like there around 3/8 thick. And I didnt have the brains to look at the caliper yet...

Old 05-15-2007, 11:43 PM

One thing you can do to check by yourself is to get under the vehicle with the brake off and see how loose the cables and rod are, then get in and apply the brake. The cables and rod should be significantly tighter and harder to wiggle. If they aren't you have a binding problem somewhere near the lever in the cab. If they are tight, then you need to see if they are actually applying the brakes or if the mechanism at the brake is corroded and frozen. If it is, you may need to lube it with WD-40 or similar product, or take it apart and clean/ replace the parts to make it work. This can be a common problem on vehicles when the operator never uses the parking brake.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Linus Gump

One thing you can do to check by yourself is to get under the vehicle with the brake off and see how loose the cables and rod are, then get in and apply the brake. The cables and rod should be significantly tighter and harder to wiggle. If they aren't you have a binding problem somewhere near the lever in the cab. If they are tight, then you need to see if they are actually applying the brakes or if the mechanism at the brake is corroded and frozen. If it is, you may need to lube it with WD-40 or similar product, or take it apart and clean/ replace the parts to make it work. This can be a common problem on vehicles when the operator never uses the parking brake.
Thanks for the hel Linus Gump!

Old 05-16-2007, 11:12 AM

The rear caliper isnt moving, but the reason for that is the cables arent pulling the calipers. Im going to try and adjust the point were the cables conect to the crossbar....its pulling very little there.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:22 PM

I adjusted the nut, but it didnt help at all, the parking break didnt engage at all. The Pads are about 1/4inch or so thick, which cant be there norm, and the caliper doesnt move. SO whats the next step, do I need to take apart the caliper or rebuild or buy a new caliper? And also, i dont have a manual for this, only the manual from bluehummer and it doesnt say how to adjust the parking break. Any and all ideas would be very helpfull at this point. Thank you

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Adjustment