PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Parasitic battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Default Parasitic battery drain

Hi:
I am down in NM with a dead battery. I have a 2008 Adventure H3 with the 3.7L, Auto Trans.
The battery was replaced in CO two months ago and never gave me a problem.

Using a digital multimeter I have determined that I have a 320ma drain that I cant seem to find. I have pulled each fuse one by one and no change.

Is it possible that one of the relays is stuck? I assume that to check that, I have to pull each relay one at a time?

Thx!!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:15 PM

i find 110 ma to be normal. so i guess you could pull , oh there is another onstar fuse , i heard,never saw, behind the ?batt ,?
or,pull relays!btw i have a jeep with a ??batt problem. i put a kill sw on the batt,lazy way out.it seems that someone had trbl with the radio stuff,you might get in there asnd pull some plugs??

Last edited by happythree; 03-18-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 PM

Disconnect the positive and negative cables and set DVM to ohms scale. Test across the leads and check to make certain you get a reading. Zero is short. Mega is open. 3-5 ohms or more is ok.

Check the trailer wiring for a short under the back end.
Chris

Old 03-19-2013, 11:06 AM

3 ohms with 12 v is 4 AMPS!!. I DONT THINK YOU WILL SEE ANYTHING THAT LOW, BUT ILL CHECK. oops sorry caps lock.
just dont drive with caps locked!

1/10 amp is normal

Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 PM

I found the drain...it was two Hella relays that power the (4) Hella 500 roof lights. The lights themselves were not on, but for some reason the two relays are "on" the whole time. I flipped the light switches in the opposite position and I could hear the relays "click" off. Drain dropped to 70ma.
I will have to check how it was wired as there is a fuse before the relay and there is no fuse in the fuse holder so the relay is getting 12vdc somehow.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 PM

oh yeah, always check the last place someone was messing!!

any additions can often be a botched job,"wiring direct", should have known!

still wonder why just 70 ma?

Old 02-19-2015, 01:23 PM
Default Same Crap

Radio took Crap first.... No volume control, can't change to CD... Periodically beeps and periodically will work correctly for a minute or two.

Then had a series of delayed reaction starts (i.e. turn key to start ... Nothing release key to ON/run and after a second or two engine fires normal and starter releases as it should.

Then after sitting for 2 days NEW battery DRAINED condition... Had to break in with coat hanger and jump. Charges right up. Leave it for a day ... It's dead. Am hearing potential for ignition switch or relay problem. Interested in any other ideas or tests My non electrical skill set wouldv permit? Thank you All.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:26 PM
Default oh yeah

Oh yeah 2006 H3 with 140 k miles on a 3.8 ... Thx.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pdqbassman1
Radio took Crap first.... No volume control, can't change to CD... Periodically beeps and periodically will work correctly for a minute or two.

Then had a series of delayed reaction starts (i.e. turn key to start ... Nothing release key to ON/run and after a second or two engine fires normal and starter releases as it should.

Then after sitting for 2 days NEW battery DRAINED condition... Had to break in with coat hanger and jump. Charges right up. Leave it for a day ... It's dead. Am hearing potential for ignition switch or relay problem. Interested in any other ideas or tests My non electrical skill set wouldv permit? Thank you All.
This thread is almost 2 years OLD. Please avoid digging up old threads just because you think your problem is similar. Instead, post a brand new thread with your question AFTER doing a search and not finding a solution to your issue.

You likely have a bad ignition switch. Since your radio is toast, I would not rule out a short in the radio causing a draw down either. Remove the radio and see what happens?

What kind of battery charger are you using? If you are using an old school charger for a few hours..... then you are not charging the battery to 12.9V +.