PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Painting and removal of plastidip from my H3 Hummer hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 03:20 AM
Default Painting and removal of plastidip from my H3 Hummer hood

Here are some pics and video of the project I did today. Painted the area behind hood louver with plastidip.

On ebay I saw a black vinyl decal applique that covers the area directly behind the hood louver and I liked the look of it. Since I had a can or two of plastidip from previous projects, I decided to mimic the look by spaying a couple of coats of it on the hood.

Hummer H3 Championship Edition Style Hood Decal | eBay

I took some video of the painting and removal process.
Applying plastidip to H3 hood.
Plastidip hood - Hummer H3 - YouTube

Removing plastidip from H3 hood.
How to Remove Plastidip from a Hummer Hood. - YouTube

Tools/parts needed:
Plastidip $5
Painters tape: leftover form previous projects
Newspaper or cardboard for masking off areas

Note: The first time I applied it the plastidip started to pull off of the edges when I removed the painters tape. This is due to the elastic properties of the spray on vinyl. So I recorded myself removing the plastidip. The second time around I painted it all at once and removed the tape before the plastidip had time to completely dry. Another option I will use next time is to mask the edges using multiple layers of tape then remove a layer of tape each time I put on a coat while the plastidip is still wet.

See the before and after pics below.

Attached Thumbnails Painting and removal of plastidip from my H3 Hummer hood-white.jpg   Painting and removal of plastidip from my H3 Hummer hood-plastidip.jpg   Painting and removal of plastidip from my H3 Hummer hood-hood1.jpg   Painting and removal of plastidip from my H3 Hummer hood-hood2.jpg   Painting and removal of plastidip from my H3 Hummer hood-hood3.jpg  

Old 12-18-2011, 07:49 AM

Timing is everything in life... My kids bought me the vinal decal for Chrismas. Has anyone tried to use this product on the chrome grill of the H3? If so, how did it turn out?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:00 AM

Kudos on DIY... however I think it needs something, maybe the hood louver needs some? Also my major concern is durability, I know that your supposed to be able to remove it easily, so would rock chips and branches from wheelin peel it off? Also how does it hold up to icy winters?

Old 12-18-2011, 01:43 PM

I also have it on my wheels and the chrome gas door.

A lot of people ask about the durability of it, you can spray more coats to make it thicker and and also spray a few coats of clear coat over it to help. I haven't noticed any rock chips on the wheels over the past 5 months since I sprayed them, but then again my h3 has not been in the mud during that time.

For real durability, others on the forum have recommended going a more permanent route like spray on bedliner. If you want something that has the same visual effect, is quick, easy, under $5 and removable, then plastidip seems to work. It's a fast, cheap DIY and if you see a chip or it starts to peel, just spay on some more or peel it off and do it again. It took me about 30 minutes to wash, prep and then spray the hood. Youtube is filled with videos of people using this stuff.

-Tim