PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Painting rear bumper impact bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 06:24 PM
Default Painting rear bumper impact bar

So my rear H2 bumper had a huge rust hole it it... I decided to replace it with something better. I found a guy stripping one down and bought it. It has a few deep gouges in it (small) and two very small dents. I’m windering should I pick up a small thing of bondo and fill them so it’s smoothe, or should I just paint it black so it’s fresh and ignore them. I can’t decide. I picked up some VHT roll bar paint thinking it should be a good hard paint to use, but it’s gloss... I’m not a 100 percent sure I will like it but my plastic is really clean and I’d like them to all be close. If I don’t like it I’ll just hit the visible section with satin black. I also picked up some filler primer. And I was going to undercoat the back side or at least use some flexible frame paint. I have sanded what surface rust I was able to fund (was pretty clean) and sanded a handful of scratches and chips. I put one can of primer on top to see if I could pick out imperfections... and I can... but I’m being picky.

Thoughts

Old 09-15-2018, 08:38 PM

I think I’ll try the body filler on the little scratches... the small dents may not be worth fooling with.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:53 AM

If you are going to paint it which requires at least scuffing the thing to paint correctly I would personally go ahead and fix the gouges/dents with a filler. Why not have a pristine looking bumper once all said and done!

Old 09-16-2018, 12:12 PM

LoJac that is pretty much what I decided. I’ll post some after pics. Should be done in a few days. I already skinned the scratches with filler and sanded and hit it with primer. Still some high spots so I’ll work on getting them all out. I still don’t know if I’ll do gloss or simi gloss but that’s easy enough to sort out once I get to paint stage. Thanks for your thoughts. It helps.

More to follow.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by myrddin
LoJac that is pretty much what I decided. I’ll post some after pics. Should be done in a few days. I already skinned the scratches with filler and sanded and hit it with primer. Still some high spots so I’ll work on getting them all out. I still don’t know if I’ll do gloss or simi gloss but that’s easy enough to sort out once I get to paint stage. Thanks for your thoughts. It helps.

More to follow.
Sounds good, can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Old 09-18-2018, 08:10 PM

It’s coming along. I just don’t have enough time to fool with it. I should have it knocked out by the end of the week.

I want to paint the front too.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:36 AM

I am having a hard time getting the bumper surface to not show signs of filler and other defects in the metal. It’s 90% better looking but in primer I can see them. Guessing once paint hits the bumper I will still be able to see them. Typically this means I may still have some high spots... I wonder if I should keep trying, or paint as is, or go the route of bedliner or linex (having many jeeps in the past, the bedliner is nice and hides a lot, but it’s not a smoothe surface)

thoughts?

Old 09-19-2018, 06:38 PM

I Raptor Lined everything on my rig, bumpers, fender flares, brush guard, hood vent, etc. You can look at the pics towards the end of my build thread in my sig. It would definitely hide imperfections that's for sure. It is A LOT of work though since it is a 2 part epoxy based product.

Edit: page 6 of my build thread has the pics.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:15 PM

Wow! Man you have done some nice things.

And yes! That is exactly the look I have in mind. How do I do that? I bought a can of dupli color bedliner and I was going to try that over the weekend. But now you have me thinking.

Nice rig you have there.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by myrddin
Wow! Man you have done some nice things.

And yes! That is exactly the look I have in mind. How do I do that? I bought a can of dupli color bedliner and I was going to try that over the weekend. But now you have me thinking.

Nice rig you have there.
I appreciate that. A lot of hard work put into that old girl. Raptor Liner is a 2-part epoxy spray when cured is very hard. I have not tested the durability yet as I did it last year towards the end of shooting season so this year we will see. Although I won't deliberately be trying to screw it up because it was a ton of work. Basically it's all in the prep. Buy a box of red scuff pads, a lot of sandpaper if you're doing plastic, a cheap orbital sander, a Final Wipe solution, and tack cloth for good measure. Spraying is the easy and fun part but you'll also need a good 3M respirator as you are not supposed to breath the fumes in and plastic line EVERYTHING you don't want sprayed. The stuff goes everywhere. I had the best texture with 40psi to the gun but you can change the texture by varying the pressure. It's great stuff and turned out awesome!

Quick Reply: Painting rear bumper impact bar