PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

PAINT

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Default PAINT

Is it just me but the H3 is made for off road and the paint is crap you look at it the wrong way you get a scratch so when i take it off road new paint job evertime . I think it time to sell f GM [sm=shootshoot.gif]

Old 04-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Default RE: PAINT

yea well, the 3 was built for the masses. Its a Hummer but your not gonna get the quality of the high end trucks like the 1 or 2, or the other high end GM vehicles. Its on par with the other GM price point vehicles. I appreciat that GM made a smart move with the 3, its what will help the Hummer brand survive. You can only sell so many 70K bohemouths into an area before its saturated, but from what I hear the dealerships cant keep the 3's on the lot. Everyone can afford one. But unfortunately with that comes sacrifices in quality.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:28 AM

Mark..I understand you wanting to keep the new car look, as I intend to do..But I don't think there is a car made that the paint can withstand the rigors of OFF ROADING and I don't think any of the HUMMER models holds a higher candle to any better claim to fame in the paint dept...It is an accepted fact amongst the off roaders that a scratch or dent is a baptism by fire sort of honor badge (sick bastards), but anyway Keep a good polymer protectant on the finish and that will somewhat repel minor pin striping by tree branches...See this THREAD for the best stuff that's affordable.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:18 AM

I haven't takin mine off road yet and some how it has a chip in the passenger door! i think it came from the tires. they do like to grab rocks!

Old 04-09-2006, 01:47 AM

Does anyone have any info on 3M protective film that protects against chips and scratches? Added mud flaps Thurs. and it does help some but those 33's do throw a lot of stones.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:47 AM

Dennis, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. I know for a fact that the paint on the H1 & H2 is a high quality job. I've had body work done on my 2 and the shop had a little difficulty replicating the quality. It took them 3 times to get it right, and they are a top of the line shop. The H2 undergoes a complete immersion in an electrostatic primer bath, thats why they offer a lifetime warranty on body corrosion. I'm not real sure about the warrenty on the 3 in that respect.
Besides, the only guy's complaining about pait are you 3 owners. This isnt the only thread about that. I do agree that offroading has its hazards in the paint dept. but I have had many experiences running down narrow tree lined trails with branches the size of your thumb scraping donwn my paint, like nails on a chalkboard and never a scratch. I drive a highway to work everyday that you could call the worlds biggest sand blaster, I mean I replace my windshield every spring. Currently I have 22 rock chips in my windshild, none in the paint, that cant be a coinsidence. My wifes toyota drives the same highway every day and it looks like it has freckles, so many chips. The H2's paint is bowlingball. This I know.[sm=rant.gif]
ORIGINAL: Dennis

Mark..I understand you wanting to keep the new car look, as I intend to do..But I don't think there is a car made that the paint can withstand the rigors of OFF ROADING and I don't think any of the HUMMER models holds a higher candle to any better claim to fame in the paint dept...It is an accepted fact amongst the off roaders that a scratch or dent is a baptism by fire sort of honor badge (sick bastards), but anyway Keep a good polymer protectant on the finish and that will somewhat repel minor pin striping by tree branches...See this THREAD for the best stuff that's affordable.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:50 AM

Here's an interesting article on paint. I wondered why the paint on my Mercedes was so superior.

http://www.properautocare.com/aregepadi.html

Old 04-09-2006, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the article. I learned a couple of thing from it and I work for one of the 3 companies mentioned. I don't have an issue with my paint on the H3 (at least not yet, it's new). I just don't like throwing stones from my own tires on to the wheel wells and doors, so I would like to find a way to protect them a little. The mud flaps are helping the front doors. Do you or anyone one else have any ideas? Denis?

ORIGINAL: G Man

Here's an interesting article on paint. I wondered why the paint on my Mercedes was so superior.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:09 AM

ORIGINAL: flexline

Dennis, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. I know for a fact that the paint on the H1 & H2 is a high quality job. I've
ORIGINAL: Dennis

I understand
you must have the special H2, bacause the paint on mine is no better than any other mass produced vehicle. i've got chips from the chrome hood straps i took off, and plenty of pinstripes down the side (sorry dennis, i'm one of those sick bastards). most buff out by hand, but there's too much truck to break the buffer out every time i come back from a run. aside from H1s that AMG builds for the military, i doubt the paint job is special in any way. but, i'm not an expert, i just know that the paint on the bus sticks to some of the trees on the trails. may suck if i ever decide to sell it, but i don't see that happening any time soon.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:13 AM

ORIGINAL: retnuh5

Thanks for the article. I learned a couple of thing from it and I work for one of the 3 companies mentioned. I don't have an issue with my paint on the H3 (at least not yet, it's new). I just don't like throwing stones from my own tires on to the wheel wells and doors, so I would like to find a way to protect them a little. The mud flaps are helping the front doors. Do you or anyone one else have any ideas? Denis?

ORIGINAL: G Man

i don't know if this is for you or not, but some of the people i go on runs with (sick bastards all) have had their fenders "Line-X"ed. it's not the most attractive protectant available, but from across the parking lot, on a black vehicle, it's hard to tell. if you're going to be flinging dirt a lot, it may be something to look into. otherwise, search for the 3M product that can cover the parts that get road-blasted.

Quick Reply: PAINT