PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Ordered my bumper replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Default Ordered my bumper replacement

I ordered my bumper replacement two days ago. I worked with a helpful person at Teakatoys. He was patient and helpful. I had planned to order through them but ran into a snafu. I am sharing what happened in the event anyone else decides to buy this combo (Warn Powerplant / Tough Country Deluxe Front End Replacement).

I decided to call the manufacturer (Tough Country) to ask about whether or not the Warn product I plan to get would fit properly in the new bumper . I talked with a few people there and after some confusion I got to a person who really seemed to know his stuff. He told me the Tough Country Deluxe Front End Replacement I wanted would hold the Warn but there would need to be a couple mods.

This information was contrary to what I had gotten from Teakatoys so I emailed Teakatoys them to let them know what the manufacturer was saying about the product so they were aware. I already knew the Warn Powerplant sits higher up than most other winches because of the built in compressor and some other components that work with that compressor. I am attaching a picture of the bumper so you can see what I am talking about along with a picture of the winch.

According to the manufacturer the winch requires that they move the first crossbar that sits where the top of the winch would end. He said 1 and a half to two inches up is necessary. He also mentioned something about the winch plate needing a slight mod. After much discussion and thought I decided to go ahead and order the bumper direct from the manufacturer rather than from Teakatoys. The price difference was not great enough to warrant not buying from Teakatoys, but I decided to play it safe and not take a chance. I wrote Teakatoys and explained why I was going to buy it direct. I am still not sure 100% that the winch won’t fit, I am kind of thinking that it will fit anyway but the 1 and a half inch mod just allows better access to the winch, perhaps it just fits to tight otherwise. Or, perhaps, it really does not fit.

Anyhow I thought I would post this so otherreaders here would be aware of this particular issue if they plan a purchase of a Warn Powerplant. I will post pics when I get the new bumper on. It should arrive in 3-4 weeks. The winch is a different story, I have to save some more before I order but if I am lucky I can order it in the next month.

If anyone has information about this please post and let me know your experiences.
Rob

Old 06-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Default RE: Ordered my bumper replacement

Looks great with the exception of those weak looking tow hooks. Look like they would snap right off.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:43 AM

Oh, I forgot AlphaMale. The factory tow hooks remain. The picture shown is actually for a Ford, this one is fabbed for the H3. Tough country told me I could see what it looked like by checking out the Bully Dog H3 project car because it is using the front bumper replacement I am getting, you can kind of see from the picture how it retains the factory hooks.

Great point though

Rob

Old 06-05-2008, 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: rob85635

Oh, I forgot AlphaMale. The factory tow hooks remain. The picture shown is actually for a Ford, this one is fabbed for the H3. Tough country told me I could see what it looked like by checking out the Bully Dog H3 project car because it is using the front bumper replacement I am getting, you can kind of see from the picture how it retains the factory hooks.

Great point though

Rob

Awesome![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 06-05-2008, 12:16 PM

Looks like it's going to be great. Keep us informed and don't forget those pics!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Let us know how the installation went

Old 06-05-2008, 06:36 PM

Nice bumper choice.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:46 PM

The PowerPlant should fit fine. There is alot of room. Couple things on the install.

[ul][*]Get some help!!!! This thing is HEAVY!![*]You'll need to crank up your t-bars after the install. I have the HD Sway-a-way bars and mine still dropped about 3/4". If you still have the stock t-bars, you should consider upgrading them.[*]Grind down one side of the flange on the tow hook bolt to get it to fit through the hole. You'll know what I mean when you get to that point.[*]Check all the hardware they sent ahead of time. A lot of the bolts they sent me were the wrong size. And you'll need to get a bunch of fender washers of various sizes.[*]IDK if you knew this, or if TC mentioned it, but the front of the skid plate will no longer attach to the bumper. There should be brackets included to reattach it, but it does leave a good sized gap. I've wheeled since then and it hasn't been an issue yet.[/ul]

Old 06-05-2008, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the wealth of info Sewie and everyone. Do you know a good source for the Sway'a'way bars? I will buy those and some shocks, Cognito good? As far as the gap is there anything you have found to cover that gap that looks good?

Rob

Old 06-06-2008, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Good job Sewie....

BTW... did you rhino your grill?

Quick Reply: Ordered my bumper replacement