PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Opinions about GMPP extended warranty purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default Opinions about GMPP extended warranty purchase

I have to decide in the next week or two whether to purchase the GMPP extended bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Basically, it's going to cost me between 3k to 4k from anywhere between 2 to 4 years, 40k to 50k miles more.

If I don't, I still have the drivetrain warranty up until 75k miles, at which time I can purchase a GMPP extended warranty on only the drivetrain.

I'm still looking into what EXACTLY the drivetrain warranty covers, if it's only engine and trans, or diff's and transfer case as well.

I just don't know if it's worth spending all that money on a bumper to bumper when alot of that is not really expensive stuff and most of it can be fixed by me, ie: hoses, belts, etc.

What do you guys think? Hold out to extend the drivetrain warranty or bite the bullet and buy the extended bumper to bumper? It can be paid over 18 months but it's just another payment to soak up which I really don't want.

If anybody has experience with the drivetrain-only warranty for the H3 let me know. HummerMike knows about them but we haven't looked into specific parts and so forth. I don't think it's ever come up yet since I seem to have more miles on my H3 then pretty much anybody has right now

Old 01-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Opinions about GMPP extended warranty purchase

I have never bought those things and I am way ahead on the costs of operation with regular routine maintenance. Preventative maintenance does relly work. I already know you do a lot more inspesting than most. That is half the battle, heads up, look at what is going on, and address any issues as soon as they come up.

The extended warrantyisgreat for some though.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

I'm trying to figure out what can go wrong that would be worth the warranty cost.

The most common off-road repair is the all-mighty tie rod. How much do tie-rods go for, and how hard are they to replace? I'm assuming they are just a couple of bolts and that's it.

I would much rather spend the money on the all of the skid plates in addition to the underbody protection then spend 3k+ on this.

You are right Doc. I do inspect the truck every month or so for leaks and so forth. I crawl underneath it and look at everything, and change the magnets out if necessary............

Old 01-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

I have not bought the extended warranties either and think I am way ahead. I have never had anything huge blow up on me after warranty. Big things are transmissions and HVAC issues from what I hear. You know what your truck has been through and what type of condition it is in. If you think you need it... I bet you could replace your HVAC and rebuild the trannie for less than 3K.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Isn't the transmission covered under the drivetrain warranty? I still have 27k left on that, which can be extended also at the end from what they tell me.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

It should be. 3-4K fixes a lot of stuff.