PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Is Onstar killing my battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Default Is Onstar killing my battery?

Saturday, after sitting for two and a half weeks, my H3's battery was completely dead... again. It is unable to hold a charge past 2 weeks due to some sort of power drain. This is not helped by the notoriously bad delco battery they stick in the H3. I am convinced that OnStar is the root of my problem here. I live in an area that has really bad coverage and i think the OnStar cellular system constantly searches for a signal even when the truck is off. My service isnt even active right now. I have a co-worker that has a canyon and he has noticed the same thing after leaving his truck in a parking garage for a week, his truck is dead.

So, what i really want is to power off this system. Anyone know if this can be done?

Old 05-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Default RE: Is Onstar killing my battery?

I don't think your Onstar is active when the truck's off. My dealer did install some GPS locator thing (Inilex, I think) that has it's one battery and can suck the life off of the main battery. Your battery could just be dying.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Doubt Onstar is the issue or there would be dead Hummers all over the place. What diagnostics ahve you performed to try to isolate the draw on your electrical system?

Old 05-05-2008, 05:45 PM

Wouldn't be onstar. Do you have any aftermarket electronics installed? Have you had the battery replaced at all?-

Old 05-05-2008, 06:29 PM

Onstar is not your problem. You either have an accessory draining it (i.e. cell phone charger, radar detector, etc.) or there's a module causing excessive drain. Take it to your dealer and ask them to test the battery, if the battery passes then ask them to do a parasitic draw test on the vehicle. this will give them a starting point on tracking down the culprit. If you do have something plugged in, unplug it when the truck sits for more than a week and you'll be fine.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:05 PM

Could also be a bad voltage regulator............

Old 05-05-2008, 08:28 PM

I've also seen car alarms do it - try just locking the doors vs. using the remote.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:27 PM

My money is on the crap batteries they keep putting in the H3. I am on number three right now at 30,000 miles.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

I must have the best car buying luck. ( knock on wood ) I just haven't had the issues other people have.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:26 PM

Thankfully I'm with you 3Hummers. Haven't had any issues like alot on here. However when the battery does go it will be replaced with an Optima Deep Cycle

Quick Reply: Is Onstar killing my battery?