PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

ONSTAR

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ONSTAR, OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics

I don't need no stinking onstar. [8D]

Old 09-18-2007, 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: alrock

I've had the OnStar set up for five months now and like it. I don't really need the diagnostics but it's nice to see, especially since I'll probably take advantage of the oil life system vs. changing every 3K or 5K miles. (I know there are LOTS of opinions on this but I'm going to let my synthetic oil do its job.) I tried the Directions and Connections for a couple of months. It's a great service if you usually need directions. I know Phoenix well so I don't need them but when I was in LA the directions were invaluable. I just wish the H3 radio showed the written directions like the radios or information centers do in many other GM cars.

So, I'm not keeping the $100/year Directions Package (available for $9.95/mo) but I think I'll keep OnStar. I like it for the roadside assistance, door unlocking (ya never know), safety aspect like if my airbags go off, and vehicle recovery abilities (yes, we have discussions on this too but it's still not a bad thing even if there are better options).

I'm also keeping 100 or so minutes in OnStar calling available with the greater range of the OnStar cellular antenna. I've been in remote place where my cell phone couldn't make a call but the OnStar phone could. I think it's a nice safety factor especially in the wide open spaces of the Southwest.
[/align]
Depending on your phone carrier, you can have your phone connected to your car phone, so your car phone runs on your cellular account and uses up cellular minutes.

Thats what I do and it's working great, so if I need to call somone and I dont have my cell, I just use the car phone.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: ockie

ORIGINAL: alrock

I've had the OnStar set up for five months now and like it. I don't really need the diagnostics but it's nice to see, especially since I'll probably take advantage of the oil life system vs. changing every 3K or 5K miles. (I know there are LOTS of opinions on this but I'm going to let my synthetic oil do its job.) I tried the Directions and Connections for a couple of months. It's a great service if you usually need directions. I know Phoenix well so I don't need them but when I was in LA the directions were invaluable. I just wish the H3 radio showed the written directions like the radios or information centers do in many other GM cars.

So, I'm not keeping the $100/year Directions Package (available for $9.95/mo) but I think I'll keep OnStar. I like it for the roadside assistance, door unlocking (ya never know), safety aspect like if my airbags go off, and vehicle recovery abilities (yes, we have discussions on this too but it's still not a bad thing even if there are better options).

I'm also keeping 100 or so minutes in OnStar calling available with the greater range of the OnStar cellular antenna. I've been in remote place where my cell phone couldn't make a call but the OnStar phone could. I think it's a nice safety factor especially in the wide open spaces of the Southwest.
[/align]
Depending on your phone carrier, you can have your phone connected to your car phone, so your car phone runs on your cellular account and uses up cellular minutes.

Thats what I do and it's working great, so if I need to call somone and I dont have my cell, I just use the car phone.
I have that too, it is nice. Its thru verizon and you need the family share plan. To add the onstar its an additional $10 a month

Old 09-23-2007, 05:23 PM

I get the emails too. It was nice and reassuring before I left for the Colorado trip to get the email that everything on the diagnostic checked out right before we left.

I didn't think much about ONSTAR or XM radio when I bought them but I've kept the XM by subscribing when my trial ended and will do the same with Onstar.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:33 PM

i have been thinking about getting my onstar going,how much is it a month

Old 09-23-2007, 10:31 PM

I have had to use my OnStar twice now when my H3 acted funky on the road. It was nice knowing what was wrong before going to the shop.

I also have Verizon for my cellular service, so I now keep my OnStar as another line on my Verizon plan. I also noticed that my OnStar has much better reception than my cell phone. Another added bonus!

I use the monthly emails to plan my oil changes. It is also cool to have your vehicle send you messages . . . so futuristic.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL: hilljob26

i have been thinking about getting my onstar going,how much is it a month
http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/index.jsp

Old 09-24-2007, 03:20 AM

I was surprised that On Star was working here in Guam! I was able to contacttwo call centers. A call center in the Philippines and another in Canada. I really don't think I'll be using mine since Guam is such a small Island, but it's neat to have!

Old 09-24-2007, 07:23 PM

I have ONSTAR in my 2006 H3, and I use it. I like to get the monthly emails, and I actually use the prepaid calling plan too. It's nice if you forget your cell phone, or need to make a quick call. I wouldn't use it for frequent calls, but for the occasional call it is quite nice.

Over labor day weekend my H3 waterpump failed while the car was in a store parking lot. One push of the ONSTAR button, and there was a flatbed truck there in about 30 minutes to take the H3 to the dealer. In my opinion, that alone made it worth the service.

I have navigation, so I don't have the "Directions & Connections" package.

I may be in the minority, but I like ONSTAR!

Old 09-25-2007, 07:42 AM

I've never owned a GM vehicle before my H3 but I have to say I love OnStar. Sure it's free for the first year but I think it's only about 200 bucks a year after that. Why wouldn't you want a device that calls 911 when your air bag deploys? If you're on a deserted road that could mean the difference between you living and dying.

Quick Reply: ONSTAR