PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

One week with Cooper Discoverer AT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Default One week with Cooper Discoverer AT3

I want to start this review with a few disclaimers, first is that I do not work for any tire company or auto the parts. I work in health care. I am comparing 285 Cooper Discoverers to the stock 265 tires. The tires I replaced were at 8/32 tread. I do not do a lot of off road driving and when I do it is usually access roads with not a lot of challenging terrain...yet ;-)

These tires are much stiffer than the stock, which does translate into a harsher ride (to stock) but nothing that bothers my wife (which means it is not that noticeable). I will say the dry and wet traction/grip is much much better than stock. I found the tires were getting a little squirrelly on some of my hair pin turns on my drive home even in when dry. These tires grip much better dry and way better wet. This also applies to highway driving where at high speeds the tire is very secure... I attribute the stability of the tire to the stiffer sidewalls.

The tread is nice and looks like it will grip well in the soft stuff, but the noise is barely noticeable over the stock.

I took the tires down some wet access roads, the grip was solid much better than stock... but that could be attributed to the better tread depth and sidewall stiffness. I do like the wider tread, a lot less gravel stuck in the tread when I left the road... in fact there was nothing in there... no paint chips.

This has been only one week on the truck... but here is my impression so far.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:02 AM

I was thinking of the same tires, you have any installed PICS?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:18 PM

Old 12-19-2011, 08:35 AM

Thanks

Old 12-19-2011, 09:20 AM

Love those headlights

Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by wfturner
Love those headlights
You should, you helped convince me to get them

Best investment, love them!

Old 12-19-2011, 12:35 PM

Are those STARR bi-xenons?

Old 12-19-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by jbs45
Are those STARR bi-xenons?
Yes, both WFTurner and I have them installed.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:46 PM

I installed mine last week. It seems like the driver side headlight is aimed towards the white edge line on the side of the road, pointing towards where the passenger side headlight aims, Is your's like this?

Old 12-19-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by jbs45
I installed mine last week. It seems like the driver side headlight is aimed towards the white edge line on the side of the road, pointing towards where the passenger side headlight aims, Is your's like this?
When you install each housing on the three pins on the truck, make sure you have the female spring clips fully engaged with those posts. The headlights have no adjustment side to side.
After I installed mine the lights required only a slight adjustment (torx nut) to bring the low beam cut off to the same height and the other.
You can shine low beams on a flat wall and back up twenty five feet and make that adjustment

Sorry CARdiac, didn't mean to hijack your post

Quick Reply: One week with Cooper Discoverer AT3