PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

The oil light (word) and the oil can blink on the dash with loud dinging noise in cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 12:50 AM
Default The oil light (word) and the oil can blink on the dash with loud dinging noise in cab

HAPPY NEW YEAR Hummer Family!!!,
Thanks for all your help last year with my Hummer H3. I finally got around to changing the oil pressure sensor about 2 weeks ago because when I changed the oil and filter the problem stopped. HOWEVER, once the oil pressure sensor was replaced immediately the dinging in the cab started and the oil light and oil can illuminates on the dash:-(. I haven't driven it since and just jumped the battery today because it died from sitting the last 3 weeks actually. And guess what.....there he blows with the same symptoms. Please help. Is there something that I may have missed? There is no oil leaking underneath. Am I looking at a new oil pump or possibly an engine? Need to know what to troubleshoot in order not to get taken advantage of. Thanks for all your help in advance!
Ethan's Driver

Last edited by Ethanhunt; 01-02-2017 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Needed to clarify what Hummer model (H3)
Old 01-02-2017, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ethanhunt
HAPPY NEW YEAR Hummer Family!!!,
Thanks for all your help last year with my Hummer H3. I finally got around to changing the oil pressure sensor about 2 weeks ago because when I changed the oil and filter the problem stopped. HOWEVER, once the oil pressure sensor was replaced immediately the dinging in the cab started and the oil light and oil can illuminates on the dash:-(. I haven't driven it since and just jumped the battery today because it died from sitting the last 3 weeks actually. And guess what.....there he blows with the same symptoms. Please help. Is there something that I may have missed? There is no oil leaking underneath. Am I looking at a new oil pump or possibly an engine? Need to know what to troubleshoot in order not to get taken advantage of. Thanks for all your help in advance!
Ethan's Driver
about 2 weeks ago because when I changed the oil and filter the problem stopped. HOWEVER, once the oil pressure sensor was replaced immediately the dinging in the cab started and the oil light and oil can illuminates on the dash:
so it sounds like the new sensor caused the problems huh?

Old 01-02-2017, 10:22 PM

Hi☺ happythree,
Kinda.....I actually posted a thread based on this same subject but didn't know how to connect it with the original concern. Basically, the dinging was occurring but when I drove Ethan it would stop. In September, I changed the oil and filter and the problem stopped However, I was also instructed to change the oil pressure sensor per members' advice. I did this 2-3 weeks ago and immediately when starting Ethan the dinging started and the oil can was flashing on the dash (the original concern/issue). But only this time even if I drive Ethan the dinging sound and dash light continues. So, basically yes. It appears that the new sensor triggered this and I am just really confused and a bit frustrated now. Thank you for any advice or help that you can lend.

Ethan's Driver

Old 01-03-2017, 06:35 AM

Is oil registering on the dip stick?

Old 01-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Just because the sensor was new when you installed it does not mean that it is not defective. Any man made part can be defective brand new. Or, it may not be connected correctly and your H3 PCM does not see it.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:00 PM

Hi TAINTER and Doc Olds☺!
I am just seeing your responses. I am not home right now but will check out both your inquiries when I get in tomorrow. Thank you for responding and I will get back to you. Also, I did have an AC delco part installed. I still have the old part and it had oil in it. I can take a pic and unload. Also, when the new part was installed there was some oil spilled on it from the entry area of where the old part was. I tried to clean and keep the new part clean before installation but the gentleman(GM mechanic for 35 years/ nearing 80 years old) who assisted me said it was ok if oil got on it. I enjoy working with him because he allows me to assist with repairs and I can actually see and learn about my Hummer during these repairs. Thanks again and I will be back with those answers.

Thank you☺
Ethan's Driver

Old 01-04-2017, 07:47 PM

Hello TAINTER and Doc Old's☺!,
Here's the deal:
1. The oil is registering as full

2. I read the manual and found out that I needed to push the reset button on the dash. When I did this, the dinging sound stopped and the oil light went off but the oil can illuminated.

3. Turned off Ethan and let him sit for about 30 minutes(battery was dead when I initially tried to start. I guess because he was sitting 2-3 weeks and no starting him) so I wanted to check if battery was still charged. When I started Ethan the dinging sound came on, the oil light and oil can illuminated again. I pushed reset and the dinging sound and oil light went off but the oil can stayed illuminated.
Also, one last thing any suggestions on where and what type of battery to buy if I need to replace mine?
Thank you for any and all help that you can give☺

Ethan's Driver

Old 01-05-2017, 02:49 AM

letting a car sit till the batt goes dead in freezing weather will freeze and destroy the batt. i drive every few days 5+ miles min till full temp is hit.
if not everyday.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:02 AM

Good morning happythree☺,
Thank you for responding. Will do and Happy New Year!

Old 01-06-2017, 07:52 PM

I need help w/ my H3 2006 all my warning lights come on when I'm driving & or sitting I loose all power windows, radio, heater ext every thing put still runs & drives smooth!!
I need help I have replaced Alt & stater both before this problem started!! Any help would be appreciated please