PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Oil leak mystery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Default Oil leak mystery?

Ok I am a newby so please forgive me. I just purchased an 1994 H1 and am also relatively new to diesel engines so I have a lot of learning to do! When I stopped for gas the other day I noticed a severe oil leak coming from what seemed to be the front of the engine it was bad enough that there was oil splattered on the back of the truck. I could not figure out where it was coming from and I was a good ways away from home and decided my best bet was to make sure I had enough oil and stop and check every so many miles. After a while the oil leak seemed to stop and has not re-occurred. So what gives anyone have any idea what happened?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 PM

was it from the front of the engine or more up near the radiator area. you have a tansmission and engine oil cooler up front on top of the radiator but beneith the AC cooler. there are rubber lines on the passenger side that feed it and steel lines on the driver side. if im not mistaken, the engine oil is fed and returned on the drivers side. make sure these lines are not cracked or broken. you should have to remove the foam padding that is used to help seal up the cooling intake and probably the plastic pieces that cover that side up. But if it is def. the motor that had the leak, you might want to check the tuna can(Crankcase Depression Regulator Valve) that is mounted on the passenger side of the motor. it sits on top of the valve cover. That thing should be replaced every 30K. When this valve fails, you will see oil in your turbo and intake manifold and higher oil consumption. Likewise excessive external engine oil leaks due to pressurizing the crankcase. So, in closing, you are gonna half to get in and under there and snoop around to see where it is coming from. good luck.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the input Joe yes it seems to be comming from the front drivers side. I have gotten up under it and looked but it needs to be cleaned really well before I can make anything out and it is just too cold right now to do this properly. At least with the ideas I can look at those areas closely, thanks again.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:56 PM

It could be the steering fluid line leaking.. When I first received my alpha, It had a bad leak with the steering fluid line.. The technician that I took it to said that my steering fluid reservoir was almost completely drained by the time I got it to him.