PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Default Oil Leak

Got everything together to do my first oil change, and got up under my truck and lo and behold, oil leak!

Little bit of background, I got my truck a little over a month ago, its a 2008 H3 Alpha, bought it with 30k on the clock.

It doesn't seem like a bad leak, its more weeping oil than leaking, most of the surfaces around the drain plug and oil filter are slick with oil and there were a couple small drops hanging.

Thankfully its under warranty, now I just have to find the time to get it to the dealer.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:38 PM

I'll try to grab some pics tomorrow during the day, and also will update this thread once the dealer takes a look at it with what was going on.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 AM

Not quite sure but it happened to my H3 before. When I tried to do my oil change I noticed those areas you mentioned were all wet, then I tried to check everything and found out that the filter wasn't properly screwed in, it's kind of a bit loosen. Then I just tightened it up and it's all good. Leaking never come back since!
But that's mine though, yours could be a different story, hope nothing serious.

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Draketh
Got everything together to do my first oil change, and got up under my truck and lo and behold, oil leak!

Little bit of background, I got my truck a little over a month ago, its a 2008 H3 Alpha, bought it with 30k on the clock.

It doesn't seem like a bad leak, its more weeping oil than leaking, most of the surfaces around the drain plug and oil filter are slick with oil and there were a couple small drops hanging.

Thankfully its under warranty, now I just have to find the time to get it to the dealer.
My '08 Alpha also had an oil leak in the area you're describing. The dealer replaced the oil pan gasket. Problem fixed.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:01 AM

Yeah, I was thinking that could be the case. What makes me skeptical is that there is oil film on surfaces above the oil filter and drain plug, but its possible that it could have crept there or been blown up there while driving. I think I'm gonna do an oil change, wipe everything down, and then see if it comes back, if it does I'm gonna pop it in to the dealer.

On the other hand I'm tempted to not waste the good synthetic oil and filter if it does start leaking again. I'm thinking the best route is to hand it off to the dealer with the oil and filter and let them handle it, that's what the warranty is for after all.

On an unrelated note, Halo, did you see any performance increases with your air doc and magnaflow? I'm going to be doing the same exact thing to mine, how do you like the magnaflow? I bet it sounds pretty good!

Last edited by Draketh; 10-21-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:28 AM

Yeah, I was thinking that could be the case. What makes me skeptical is that there is oil film on surfaces above the oil filter and drain plug, but its possible that it could have crept there or been blown up there while driving. I think I'm gonna do an oil change, wipe everything down, and then see if it comes back, if it does I'm gonna pop it in to the dealer.

On the other hand I'm tempted to not waste the good synthetic oil and filter if it does start leaking again. I'm thinking the best route is to hand it off to the dealer with the oil and filter and let them handle it, that's what the warranty is for after all.

On an unrelated note, Halo, did you see any performance increases with your air doc and magnaflow? I'm going to be doing the same exact thing to mine, how do you like the magnaflow? I bet it sounds pretty good!
It REALLY sounds good! Not overbearing.....just a nice power sound!
To be perfectly honest, with all my mods, I haven't really noticed a mpg increase. I kept track before AND after the mods, and, am still getting about 12.75 mpg. As far as performance, there was plenty of power to begin with, so any additional was not perceptible.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:49 PM

Bad news, that wasn't an oil leak. Turned out to be trans fluid.

Good thing it's under warranty, they're gonna pull the whole trans and check it out, gonna be gone about a week.

I kind of had a sinking feeling something was wrong, the truck would often almost feel like the trans was slipping and then it would "kick" when it caught.

At this point now I almost hope there's alot of fluid missing and my transmission is ****ed so I can get a new one and have piece of mind.

Hopefully they'll be able to tell if there was any permanent damage done or not and then we can go from there. I took it to a Hummer specific dealer, not just a GM certified one. I almost bought my truck from there but they couldn't find what I wanted, however they've been nothing but great and pleasant when it comes to service.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:14 AM

Does anyone else notice that their H3 will shift hard and kind of "kick" the whole vehicle forward? I'm particularly interested in the Alpha, but will take any feedback at this point, I'm worried about my baby.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:27 PM

Alright, turned out to be two small pinhole leaks near the front of the tranny. Dealer says the fluid wasn't low, which is good, however I'm still concerned about my truck shifting hard sometimes, but the power train warranty puts me at ease some.

Parts are on order, I should have my truck back mid next week, and I'm getting a free transmission fluid change out of all this which makes me happy. Maybe after the fluid gets changed my shifts will we smoother.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:42 PM

Alright, turned out to be two small pinhole leaks near the front of the tranny. Dealer says the fluid wasn't low, which is good, however I'm still concerned about my truck shifting hard sometimes, but the power train warranty puts me at ease some.

Parts are on order, I should have my truck back mid next week, and I'm getting a free transmission fluid change out of all this which makes me happy. Maybe after the fluid gets changed my shifts will we smoother.
Ask the dealer, if you paid the difference in price, would they put in synthetic tranny fluid. Probably wouldn't cost you that much.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak