PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Oil Change expensive as heck....

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:04 AM
Default RE: Oil Change expensive as heck....

ORIGINAL: WillyH3

I just dropped off my H3 at the dealer for the 'service', torsion bar adjust , and alignment. The service aloneis $129. Not sure if they are supplying Vaseline or not though...[:-]
haha. I'm sure you're getting it raw.

They quoted me $110 for oil change & tire rotation the other day after I got some warranty work done. I just smurked and walked out. Still not sure what the point of a tire rotation is but thats probably just me being dumb. at 35k my tires look fine never rotated. get 17.5mpg.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:42 AM

OK guys...Time to Man up and get your hands dirty. Change your own oil, it's the right thing to do!

This especially goes for you Metrosexuals who are afraid to ruin your fresh manicure. Ditch the "man bag" (purse) get some Carhartt work clothes and some tools from Sears and crank your own wrenches.

HELP DOC Olds! What's the world coming to???

Old 06-26-2008, 10:41 AM

Normally I do all my own oil changes, and work on all my own cars so the world is not coming to an end and I'm far from Metro. I'm too damn ugly for that.I have been knee deep in a bathroom remodel for the last seven weeksso no time. I didn't even like having the dealer adjust the torsion bars, but it ensured the warranty was in tact. (I didn't want excuses from them). I have to admit that I puked a little in my own mouth when they asked me for $69 to replace the air in my tires with Nitrogen. I'm installing the Cognito shocks in the front this weekend and then will be on the prowl for some 315s. And just to clarify, the $129 did NOT come with Vaseline. Still limping a bit. =) And Real Jeep, my tools are my precious metals. My wife has her jewelry box, and I have mine, big and red with lots of bling on the inside. Hahaha!!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:49 AM

Understand the time constraints. I've had to have "them" do it a few times myself but always had thet nagging feeling about whether they did it right. A wrench on flat rate doesn't always take the time he needs to ensure it's done right.

Amen to the precious metals! My big red box is full of tools that were my Grandpa's, my Dad's and mine. If someone ever stole them I'd have to go to prison because I'd hunt that troll down and slowly and painfully kill them! I teach my kids the "take care of your tools and they'll take care of you" mantra and hopefully they'll grow up to know that another name for a metrosexual is a fairy!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:21 AM

ORIGINAL: RealJeep

I teach my kids the "take care of your tools and they'll take care of you" mantra and hopefully they'll grow up to know that another name for a metrosexual is a fairy!
Some of my favorite tools I can remember using with my grandfather and father. Not sure why Craftsman went to the professional series wrenches. I'm positive it was just to mess with me because they need to return to their spot without fingerprints. I know a little picky, but it sucks to grab a greasy wrench on the next go around. Oh, and I refer to my Snap-on Torque wrenches and Mac breaker bar as my ***** extentions. It's like women's tennis when you use them, have to swear, grunt, or moan when using them. hahaha! Enough.

It's actually offensive when someone refers to me or my H3 as pretty!?! Why a man would make himself pretty confuses me. I'm already bothered enough that I have p&*%% hands because I work behind a computer.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:42 AM
dw

$42 for regular oil and $71 for synthetic at the dealer for me.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:00 PM

I am a total metrosexual lol, I dont leave the house without gel in my hair so yeah I am very proud of it just as long as I get the girls. But for 68-70 bucks I will for sure wash the gel out and man up and get my hands dirty. It seems to be very easy on the h3. Any tips ?

Old 06-26-2008, 07:31 PM

[sm=WTFsgign.gif] Why would anyone need "tips" on changing the oil? It's such a basic function that I almost hate to dedicate a wrench to the job. But OK, for you N00Bs I'll impart some old timer wisdom upon you.

1- If you can afford use a true synthetic oil. You'll know it's real when the viscosity reads 0W -30. The consensussays Amsoil is best followed by Mobil1.
2- Get a good filter. There's tons written about good filters but once again Amsoil or Fram are good bets.
3- You have to drop two skid plates to get access to the filter. Takes 5 minutes, tops.
4- Bring lots of rags or shop wipes. I always make a mess but maybe it's just me.
5- Make sure your oil is warm before you drain it, not HOT, warm.
6- While you're under there check your CV boots and stuff prone to injury to see if every thing is functioning as intended.
7- Make sure you oil the gasket on your new filter before you spin it on.
8- Make sure you put the drain plug back in. I know it's a no brainer but you'd be amazed!

OK, there are some tips. Feel free to add, contest or whine about any or all of them. They work for me and that's all I care about.

Good luck and don't break a nail! [sm=nono.gif]

Old 06-26-2008, 07:56 PM

Autozone is running a deal on 5qts Mobil1 plus filter for like $25. I just picked up some http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_0W-30.aspxand am going to see if it really does help out with fuel economy. their online calculator figures I'd save $36 a year in gas based upon me driving 7K

Old 06-27-2008, 08:40 PM

Realjeep, im only 17 but my dad has always raised me the way he was on his grampas ranch/farm (cows and corn) I have no idea why some people cant throw on a tee shirt andchange their own earl

Quick Reply: Oil Change expensive as heck....