PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Oil Brands

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Any of those synthetic motor oils would be fine.

More important: your H3 has the GM Oil Life Monitor System. USE IT and DO NOT change your oil until it tell you to do it. Otherwise you are just pissin away $$. You can search it, the GM OLMS does not use sensors at all, so there is no failure to sense something, rather it is simply computer algorithms that will trigger the "CHG OIL" message in the DIC, based upon dino oils (only the Corvette has the GM OLMS based upon synthetics, but I heard the Comaro was to be added?).

You want filter info? Read at this link: Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

I personally will never use Fram again, I had one loose its O ring on the Wife's ride and made a bloody mess, nearly caused it to loose all oil.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:17 AM
qui

Thank you all for the continued input.

With regard to the GM OLMS, I see what you're saying, but would it be worthwhile for me to make the transfer to full synthetic now? (and change at it's alerting intervals thereafter) or are you suggesting that I continue running whatever the dealer put in it until the message comes up? I also have the same question regarding the air filter. Should I upgrade it now, or wait until more of it's service life has elapsed? It was a new filter when I purchased the vehicle about 300 miles ago.

Becoming an AMSOIL dealer, while beneficial, seems like more responsibility than I wish to take on at this time. I do not yet possess a strong understanding of motor oils, or their effects on engines, and would not feel comfortable providing related services to the public at this time. Additionally, there is already a dealer in a residence down the street.

Thank you,
-qui

Old 01-04-2013, 06:58 AM

Could you pm on details about becoming a dealer?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 AM

@ callahan, pm sent

Being an amsoil dealer? Nothing to it. You just become a member, order what you want on line and you are done. You do not have to be a dealer. You just get access to dealer prices. That is all.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by qui
Thank you all for the continued input.

With regard to the GM OLMS, I see what you're saying, but would it be worthwhile for me to make the transfer to full synthetic now? (and change at it's alerting intervals thereafter) or are you suggesting that I continue running whatever the dealer put in it until the message comes up? I also have the same question regarding the air filter. Should I upgrade it now, or wait until more of it's service life has elapsed? It was a new filter when I purchased the vehicle about 300 miles ago.

Thank you,
-qui
You can do whatever you choose to. If it were me, I would wait until the GM OLMS says it is time to change it, which will be approximately 5-7K miles from when it was last changed.

My Grandfather used to say: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It amazes me how many people on forums run around changing fluids and doing service way before any of it is called for...... fixing stuff that does not need fixing.

Switch out your air filter whenever you want, you may want to add an intake system. Changing to your favorite aftermarket air filter just by itself doesn't do much, it is almost immeasurable for most brands in most vehicles, with the exception that washable filters mean you can service them instead of replacing them over time. The air intake weak link with the H3s is the resonator (box or baffles), followed by the accordion coupler/hose, then the filter, last the air filter box.

There is no right or wrong answer, it is your truck, do what you gotta do.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:34 AM

i use 5W40 full Synthetic.. found that it keeps engine temp lower than 5W30
and i change at 5000 miles.... Motul its a French oil

Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 PM
qui

Thanks for the insight.

A very fuel conscious friend of mine is reporting that he is getting better fuel economy from running Royal Purple. Does anyone know why that would be the case?

With regard to 5W40, I understand the recommended oil to be 5W30. What risks am I exposing myself to by selecting a different weight? I read a few articles on oil, and what the xWxx means, but I'm still not clear.

Doc, I have also been looking into air intake systems. Specifically, I've been hearing about Volant and K&N. But if I'm not mistaken, I understand you have a highly recommended offering as well? Is there a resource that has a good breakdown of these systems, and how the benefit me?

Thank you,
-qui

Old 01-12-2013, 08:33 AM

Gm doesn't any money if your H3 last forever, so change your oil any 3,000 or 3 months. Don't wait for the dummy light to come on! they only kind that it lasts to the end of the factory warranty.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by mvrocky
Gm doesn't any money if your H3 last forever, so change your oil any 3,000 or 3 months. Don't wait for the dummy light to come on! they only kind that it lasts to the end of the factory warranty.
I haven't done 3k mile oil changes since the late 1970's. Oil has come a long way since. If you don't want to trust the factory reminder, do 5k mile changes.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:33 PM
qui

I went with Royal Purple and a K&N filter. I'll let you guys know if I see any boost in gas mileage. I'm going into this with 13.97 MPG.