PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Oil based rustproof: Warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Default Oil based rustproof: Warning

Being that I brought my H2 in from an area with no salt exposure I thought it would be a good idea to have rust protection applied. BAD IDEA! I went with an oil based product that they call Enviro-RS100. Basically coating the underside and hollow sheet metal areas with a thick oily slime.
So a week goes by and I look at the underside and notice the paint on the frame appears to have small bubbles. A swipe of my finger cleans it clear down to bright shiny metal. The whole frame will be bare steel very soon! When I call the company that applied it they ask if it's a GM truck. " yea we know about that" WTF...are you kidding me? They know about the problem and will still apply this crap without warning you!.
They have offered to chemically strip the frame and re-paint with a tek product that is also used for bed-liners and then re-apply the oil. Will only cost me another $100.00 or so. GRRRR
Please pass this along to any GM truck owner as this is the only application they know of where this will happen. It isn't pretty.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Banned
Default bed liner??

my probe had a heavy black coating that seemed to trap moisture. at 10 yre as i scraped the loose stuff i found rust neatly stored there. i couldnt save it.

i had a 90 ford van delux crestliner. it had a thin coating that felt"alive", not hard. it was very good and i think they did some special treatment on those fancy jobs so they would last a while.

i bought it for work so didnt care for looks but it still was nice when i said goodby. that stuff i think was sort of yello/green, oily?

im brushing some rust converter on welds that seem to start rusting first. its Rust REFORMER BY RUSTOLEUM
and is milky till it drys black,

supposed to convert rust,,,to something else!!

time will tell

Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 PM

Here are some pics of the frame being prepped for re-paint. It was stripped using a garden hose.

Attached Thumbnails Oil based rustproof: Warning-img_0220.jpg   Oil based rustproof: Warning-img_0221.jpg   Oil based rustproof: Warning-img_0227.jpg   Oil based rustproof: Warning-img_0229.jpg   Oil based rustproof: Warning-img_0222.jpg  

Old 08-12-2010, 09:05 PM

pics after repaint. They really did a nice job. I had nightmares of the whole bottom being buzz bombed.

Attached Thumbnails Oil based rustproof: Warning-img_0230.jpg   Oil based rustproof: Warning-img_0231.jpg   Oil based rustproof: Warning-img_0232.jpg