PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Oil additives

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 01:49 AM
Default Oil additives

I think i read in the manual that it does not recommend oil additives, is this correct, and if so why ?

Old 12-16-2006, 01:54 AM
Default RE: Oil additives

That's right ..don't do it..Many reasons not to...but main thing is todays modern oils need no extra help..Just use a good Synthetic brand Like Castrol Syntec and forget about additives.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:00 PM

That's right ..don't do it..Many reasons not to...but main thing is todays modern oils need no extra help..Just use a good Synthetic brand Like Castrol Syntec and forget about additives.
I will 2nd that motion...

Old 12-17-2006, 06:28 PM

Agree 100%. Been using synthetics in all my vehicles for years. One of the best things they ever made for internal combustion engines.

[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 12-28-2006, 02:45 AM
z

I do not agree. I had a 96 tacoma and used slick 50 and Dura-lube and it was amazing. I ended up selling the truck with over 200,000 miles and it never burnt oil enought to add to the next oil change. I used it every 30000 miles and will always use it.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:19 PM

Remember the really thick STP oil treatment. I used to use it religiously in my 1981 Chevy Citation X11.. Funny thing is that I thought that car was fast. 135hp and all. In a Motor Trend it stated that it would do a 17.4 second quarter mile!! Geez, I think an H1 is faster than that!! But heck it sure did get me layed quite a bit back then.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:45 PM

In all seriousness...With todays modern engines and the tighter tolerences, adding anything that thickens the oil and or coats the insides of the engineis not a good idea, this way of thinking really goes back to when people packed sawdust in the rearend to keep it from clunking...Plus it will/could void your engine's warranty.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:06 PM

Sawdust in the rear end, huh? Well I guess I won't be buying any used cars from you. The analog odometer will probably be rolled back by hand, and the radiator will be loaded with pepper and eggs, and the cylinders will be filled with lead so it runs good for the test drive.
I'm on to you and your tricks.

As to the original subject, I agree with Dennis and everyone else who says, "no." Why spend good money to buy a light weight oil just to add a thickener to it. Save the cash and buy a heavier weight oil if you feel you need to run molasses in your engine.
My first car was a 1981 Datsun 210, the predacessor to the Sentra. My dad was the second owner, and bought it with 60,000 miles on it, and full maintenance records.The previous ownerused Penzoil 15W40 every 3k, so my dad kept it up with the same oil and intravel. 140,000 miles and 6 years later when we traded it in, it barely used a quart by the next oil change.
The only need I see for additives are if it "sprays for 'skeeters" and you are trying to sell it, or the oil hasn't been changed since it was new umteen years ago and you want to clean the crud out.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:49 AM

the only addiditives I will ever use are injector cleaners that are added to the gas...oil additives are worthless on modern gasoline powered engines.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:42 PM
z

Talk is cheap, I have the numbers and the experience. They also tell me you can't run your car onwater or that you can't elevate objects with just electricity? If you believe you should change your oil every 3,000 mile please send my your money so you don't waste it on oil companies!

Quick Reply: Oil additives