PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Oh boy! I screwed things up.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Default Oh boy! I screwed things up.....

I've been installing a few things the pastcouple ofdays and most of it has been going well except today. I installed the grille lights (OEM Hummer) and that went pretty well, including removing the front bumper and replacing. I installed the mud flaps and that was a no brainer. The Motorola Bluetooth install has developed into a problem. I read the archives to try and find a 12v switched source and I can't find any of the ones that were pointed out. The radio has no red/white or yellow wires. This is an '07 with the 6 disc. I thought I found one, but it ended up being dimmable. There is a green wire on the connector for the rear wiper, it's not dimmable, it is switched. Do you think that would be OK? The 12v constant wasn't a problem. Now here's the best part. When I drilled into the cubby in front of the shifter so I could dropthe connector downfor the Bluetooth controller I knicked some plastic under there.(That is an understatement)It was the sheath for the shifter cable. Now, I can't get from 1st or 2nd into Park without holding the sheath level so the cable won't jam up. Park to Drive is OK, so unless I can fix it myself the dealer will have to do it. Has anyone removed the console? I think if I could get the console up, I could fix the problem.
I feel like an idiot. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:43 AM
Default RE: Oh boy! I screwed things up.....

no need to bring it to a dealer, any compatant mechanic could replace the cable for you for much less than a dealer would charge. Or just cover everything up back to normal and bring it to the dealer and tell them you can't shift, let them find the problem...don't offer ANY information. Then the warrenty should cover it.As far as the switched 12v. wire there are many throughout the truck, look under the steering column and you will find this plug...tap into this wire:

Name:  hummerignitionwiring.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  45.4 KB

This is the same for an 06 or an 07. Color may have changed but I HIGHLY doubt it...check the voltage across each wire to find the 12v switched.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:38 PM

Thanks for your help. I took another look and sure enough there it was, (red/white) 12v accessory. The Motorola Bluetooth works just fine.As for the linkage I screwed up, I'll go to the dealer Tuesday and see what happens.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:43 PM

UPDATE......I took it into the dealer today. I came and clean and told them how I screwed up. It was so painfully obvious that I drilled right into the sheath. The cable is about $70 and the install is about $180. They even have to "drop the tranny just a little" to get at the connection. Said they would have it done in a few hours. I'll take it in next week once the part comes in. So, here's the lesson....if you are going to drill, try and protect what is behind what you are drilling. I don't feel as bad as the guy who was in the dealer last week and had drilled a self tapping screw....into his gas tank...doh! I think he told me that to make me feel better. My wife didn't find that amusing either.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:46 PM

Live and learn

Old 01-06-2007, 12:52 AM

Yeah I've been thinking about this and may have came up wth a fix for you...

Get a short piece of copper tubing with an inner diameter just a little larger than the outside of the cable.. Slit the tube down it's length so on the end it looks like a C .

Spread the tube just enough to get it over the cable, compress around the cable with the slit away from the damage and wrap the hell out of it with electrical tape...

If it works ya saved a bit over $200 and you own me a beer... If it doesn't.. At least you tried right..??

Old 01-06-2007, 01:00 AM

Yeah, good idea Crash..Sorta like splinting it[sm=smiley20.gif]