PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Offroading ability in an H3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Default Offroading ability in an H3?

I currently have a Jeep Wrangler TJ lifted on 35's with lockers front and rear. It's very capable and we do a lot of wheeling in around around big rocks. I have two sons and the youngest will be going with us soon so I need more room. My options are an LJ(the long wheel base 2-door Wrangler) or an H3. My only question is I know very little about the drivetrain strength of the H3's.

1. I'd definitely want the Adventure package to get the 4.56 gears and locking rear. Does the Adventure package also have a lower 4LO transfer case gear ratio or are they all the same?

2. Is the factory stuff up to the task of some hard wheeling on 35" tires or will that brake a lot of parts?

3. Do you guys disconnect the front sway bars for more flex like us solid axle Jeep guys do?

4. Will 35's fit with no rubbing anywhere with just a torsion lift? If not is there an affordable 2-3" lift out there? I want to keep the lowest center of gravity and still clear 35's. I don't mind buying aftermarket wheels if need be.

thanks again

Mark

Old 11-20-2010, 10:05 AM

I'm fairly new, Adventure package, and drove one kind of jeep or another for ~15 years until a few weeks ago.. Based on what I've been able to find while researching the switch from solid axle Jeeps to the H3:

1 - Yes, the Adventure package comes with a lowered geared 4:1 TC.
2 - Appears so. Lots of people are wheeling on 35's and I haven't heard of any major issues. Stock is 33s so 35s are not as much of an increase as on Jeeps. Still, it's added weight/stress so you will increase the chance for things to break, wear parts out a bit sooner, etc. In the jeep world there are those nice charts built from decades of collected data showing what size tires are safe for what axle with/without lockers, etc. I have not seen anything like that for H3s.
3 - I have not heard of anyone disconnecting the sway bars on an H3.
4 - I'm still running 33s, but general consensus seems to be 35s might have slight rubbing at full lock. It will also rob a little power and mpg. Many people (most?) also say it is the best upgrade they have done - very happy with them.

The '09/'10 Adventures have both front and rear lockers.

IMHO, a lifted LJ on 35s with F/R lockers (Rubicon or after market lockers) will be more capable offroad than an H3, and the H3 will be much nicer to drive to the trail and back. The H3 is no slouch though, and will be almost as good offroad while completely stock.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Default Don't overlook the transit recovery factor

Another real advantage of an H3 over a Wrangler is that you can drive it 300 miles at 75 with the AC on listening to tunes in comfort and when you arrive, basically just turn onto the trail and go; instead of arriving beat up and semi-deaf after making the trip in a Wrangler.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 PM

We have both an H3 Adventure and a Wrangler JK Unlimited. If you are primarily buying a truck for the offroad experience, I'd stick with the Jeep hands down. Nothing like the doors off, top off experience.

But if you are driving long distances on the road to get to where you drive offroad to get to your destination - then the H3 wins easily. Much more comfortable and quiet. In terms of offroad ability it won't keep up with a Rubicon but does a fine job in the hands of an experienced driver.

It mostly depends on the trade offs that you like. Me I like having both.