PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Offroad lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:04 AM
Default Offroad lights

I know I asked a similar question in the past and now that I have finally decided on a set of lights and gotten the milling guys at work cracking on making me some brackets I need some additional insights ... While I'm not too shabby at wiring I'm curious as to where some of you have tapped in to power your brush guard mounted lights ... also where did you end up mountnig the switch? And finally,how difficult is it to route the wiring in to the cab? Are there access holes in the firewall or do I need to drill?

Old 04-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Default RE: Offroad lights

hey man, are you making nose-mounted brackets?

i'm looking for some of those myself

Old 04-24-2007, 03:18 PM

Well, I'm having them made for me ... We do all our milling inhouse and the guys back in the shop always lets me have some of the scrap if I need it ... They will be made out of very high grade aluminum (our products goes to Mars lol) but unpainted when they are done. Figured I'd spray em with a bed liner type material to match the black brushguard.
Not sure what I can do but once I get my drawing/measurements taken care of I can probably ask them to fab me up 4 instead of the initial two I personally need .. but since they are doing this as a favor to me I'm making ZERO guarantees as I may not be able toget my hands on enough scrap big enough to make em. This has happened before and I ended up having to actually buy some of the stock and that crap is far as hell away from cheap LOL!

How big of a mounting hole/slot do you need on yours? I have the SMA brush guard which is far fatter than stock GM brushguard ...

Old 04-24-2007, 06:52 PM

Hey Greenie, tried to PM you this and keep if out of the thread but couldn't Get back to me as far as what you are interested in to mount lights in the front. Not sure exactly what I can do but if you can throw me something I can put infront of my guys I'll see what I can work out. Easiest would be if you mount on the brush guard itself, assuming you have one that is. If not, the BG mounting location behind the lower grille but you will more than likely have to trim it to make it fit good. I know I had to when I installed my BG. I probably wont have something like that milled though, more like cut and TIG welded but they do a hell of a good job! Lemme know bro!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:02 PM

mine were wired when i bought it, and the switch is on the roof console in front of the moon-roof. it's pretty easy to get wires up there, but as far as through the fire wall, i'd say you're gonna have to drill, i haven't found a place that would allow me to run more wires through. take off the "oh-****" handle on the A pillar and the plastic cover will come off. undo the 2 screws on the roof console, slide it toward the windshield and it will drop down. then you just fish the wire across the headliner from A pillar to console. good luck

Old 04-24-2007, 07:10 PM

Thanks Shorty! Do you by any chance know where they tapped in for power? That's my biggest concern .. well, that and the drillin' .. always gives me the ******* LOL!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 PM

not sure where the power is tapped, but they're factory lights, so there may be an actual plug for them. i would recommend running power straight from the battery, with a relay to a switched source so they can't come on when the truck isn't running. i can hear the relay behind the dash, but never investigated the power source.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:16 PM

zyne, i pm'd you, i think my pm works.

i sure don't expect, and didn't mean to ask, you to make more, butits awfully kind of you to think about it.

The thing about me is i don't think i want a brush guard, so i'd have to hang them under something else, maybe the bumper bolts? If that isn't compatible with your idea i'll bite the bullet and ask the local jeep fab shop. The problem with that is when you drive up in a hummer they autmatically triple their normal price and then negotiate up from there. lol

Old 04-24-2007, 07:18 PM

Thanks shorty .. the lights I ordered comes with the relay, switch, and the rest of the goodies minus 20ga wire ... shouldn't be much of a problem then. Thanks for the info, muchos appriciados .. and if that truly is spanish, well slap me silly I certainly didn't intend it to be LOL!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Greenblade

zyne, i pm'd you, i think my pm works.

i sure don't expect, and didn't mean to ask, you to make more, butits awfully kind of you to think about it.

The thing about me is i don't think i want a brush guard, so i'd have to hang them under something else, maybe the bumper bolts? If that isn't compatible with your idea i'll bite the bullet and ask the local jeep fab shop. The problem with that is when you drive up in a hummer they autmatically triple their normal price and then negotiate up from there. lol
Bwahahaahaha, funny how that works huh! I hear ya though .. Considering how easy that stuff is to stamp out and bend I'm amazed at how much they charge for it. Hell, there's what, 2 dollars worth of material in it plus paint .. say 5 bucks worth total ..add a minor labor charge to it and you're not even up to 10 bucks/set in their cost. That's a hell of a profit margin when you charge anywhere from 60-100 bucks for the stuff :/

Quick Reply: Offroad lights