PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Off Road Training

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Default Off Road Training

have any of you guys done the H3 off road training? I'm wondering if it's worth the money.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:17 PM
Default RE: Off Road Training

where do they hold the training and how much ?

Old 08-07-2006, 02:20 AM

Check with your dealer. My dealer in Fife, WA told me Hummer requires their dealers to have at least four Hummer outings a year. The dealers in WA have two social and two off road events. During the off road event I was at, they did some off road instruction on a motocross track. Well worth the money...FREE! Breakfast/lunch and a parting gift, a picnic set and a bottle of Hummer wine, was included. I was called by my dealer last week and was invited to the social event, a Tom Petty concert. Had to work that night, besides my wife doesn't know who Tom Petty is...we're a couple of OFs in our 60's.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

I have alot of info on this. I'll send it. Laptop battery dying. I'll post it later this morning . I'm looking into this also. I have a few applications from places. it's EXPENSIVE. AM GENeral is 2500 bux. better to join a club and let the guys teach you.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:43 PM

Wheelin' is pretty much a point and shoot affair. In my opinion, they are not going to teach you anything you can't get a feel for after a day of wheeling. More trips will help you fine tune your skills.

I've been wheeling for over 22 years, and have as of yet to attend any "class" for it. Tire placement, throttle input (when to creep, when to bump it) and knowing the areas under the vehicle that are lower... getting a feel for the vehicle on different surfaces like sand, rocks, mud etc.. all these things can be picked up by any avarage driver in a short time. If you can find a group that has some time under their belts in the wheeling world, they would probably be more than happy to show you the ropes on a local trail.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:52 PM

Depends who's doing the training and how much it costs. My son and I did a one day offroading group class with a pro driver 15 years ago when I got my first 4x4. IIRC, it cost about $30 and was CA-state sanctioned. It was about 50% safety and 50% off-road techniques, which is OK considering a lot of people learn about the offroad safety the hard (and expensive) way. Learning how to use recovery gear and a winch were valuable. It prevented me from doing a few stupid and dangerous things on the trail before I hooked up with other experienced guys. I'd do it again.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:51 PM

HummerGuy is correct, the AM General class for the H3 is about $2500. They do cover all expenses for the two days you are there and you get to learn on thier H3's. I'm sure it time well spent but it just doesn't fit in the ole' budget right now.

The best alternative is to find a local group to go with and have a spotter for the more difficult courses. Get a CB so you can communicate with them, have patience if you're new at it and don't freak out if you break something like a tie rod or T-case. It's just part of the world of off-roading. HAVE FUN!!!

Old 08-09-2006, 03:57 AM

i'm on my way for training for a week and a half. a small, little known, out of the way place in Moab, Utah. 2 H1s, 2 H2s, a perfect class size. if i can remember, maybe i'll post some pics when i get back.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:22 AM

It's the Hummer H3 Driving Academy in Indiana. It's $2300 for one person and another $650 for a guest. This covers two nights and three days at the Marriott, all of your meals, and they give you an H3 to drive with an instructor.