PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Are the OEM Wrangler RT/S Ok tires ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Default Are the OEM Wrangler RT/S Ok tires ???

Just got the new 08 H3. Dealer is offering me a tire upgrade
comes with 265 75 16 Wrangler RT/S
$595 for Dueller (as on Adventure package) 285 75 16
or $695 Michellin LX M&S (285 75 16 )

I'm Ok with the Wrangler as long as I can get atleaast 50k miles and it a decent tire for snow/mud
(Live in Michigan!!)
What's the opinion??
Thanks

Old 01-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Default RE: Are the OEM Wrangler RT/S Ok tires ???

they are ok.....they do flat spot easy....I know as I have had a lot of trucks that come with them...and my last H3 were flat spotted from the dealer! If you want to upgrade...the price between the tires isn't that much....maybe at most $20-$40 per tire.....If they want another $595 that seems like it is just to much......
as for 50K miles...I don't think you'll get those out of the RTS's
They do good in the snow...I live in Maine....

just my 2 cents...

Old 01-27-2008, 05:33 PM

Good point
It did seem like alot more $$
IT's a 3 year lease, too

Old 01-27-2008, 05:42 PM

you should be fine in a 3 year lease....you're not planning on driving 50K in 3 years are you?

Old 01-27-2008, 06:03 PM

I think the Wranglers are fine as long as you are staying on the pavement with it and as long as you are happy with the looks. Yesterday I just put BFG AT/KO's 285/75/16 on it and that cost me $1090 for all 5 tires and an alignment w/road hazard. If that helps you decide on the cost.I looked for along time for tires trying to decide and just couldn't justify getting anymore progressive no more than I actually go off road. Just don't have time to go off that much. And when I do it really isn't all that rough around here (Ohio).

THINK PINK WHEN YOU VOTE FOR ROTMTIME IS RUNNING OUT![sm=smiley20.gif]
https://www.hummerforums.com/m_121425/mpage_7/tm.htm

Old 01-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

They are a fine pavement tire with some tread. Definitely week in the off road department. I have the 33 Duelers, and they are excellent on snow, but also a bit mor off pavement friendly, but still mild. I'm wearing them out so I can get more agressive with the tread pattern on my next set.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:08 PM

good luck getting 50k on any kind of tires,,, unless ya like "baldies"

Old 01-27-2008, 07:10 PM

I'll be on pavement all the time - and snow
yes I'll drive 50k in 3 years - built into lease

Old 01-27-2008, 08:33 PM

ouch...you must be an "on the road salesman" ?? and I thought I drove a lot of miles

Old 01-27-2008, 08:37 PM

I switched to the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor in 265 75/16. I have noticed a dramatic increase in traction on wet, icy and snowy roads. On the highway, the ride is quieter and much smoother. No problems with the TPMS at all. I would like to try a little mild off-roading this summer, and these are certainly capable of it. I paid $875 w/tax, hazard, yadayadayada, plus I got a $25 rebate. I only bought four, becausethey are the same size as my spare. I am on a lease, also. I kept the original Wrangler RT/S tires, and put them in my garage. If I decide to turn in my H3 at the end of my lease, I won't have to buy new tires, because the factory originals are like-new. I think my lease requires a minimum of 1/8" tread when I turn it in.

If I am going to have to buy new tires, I would rather pick out some good tires and use them for the duration of the lease, than worry about it at the end of the lease.

All-in-all, I am very happy with the Wrangler Silent Armor. I have been told (repeatedly) that Michelin's are superior tires, and I would have gone with oneof their all-terrain tires if anyone in my area had them in stock.

Hope this helps you with your decision!

-- Frank

Quick Reply: Are the OEM Wrangler RT/S Ok tires ???