PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Odd ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Default RE: Odd ticking sound

Well at least you got most problems fixed. If it does not make the noise when stationary, then it must be a part of the drive system, ie. Wheel bearings, cv joints, etc. i had the same problem on my van one, but it turned out to be a clip that held the wheel cover in place, so I don't think that's your problem. Time to jack it up, put it on blocks, and put it in drive to localize the noise I think!

Old 03-31-2007, 03:18 PM

Crawl around underneath and look for anything rubbing the drive shafts, axles and wheel brake discs..might be something simple..

Old 03-31-2007, 10:06 PM

I have the same noise, been to dealer 5 times. All I get is the run around. It has gotten little bit worse in 9,000 miles since new.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:12 PM

I have checked everything I could. My dealer is Wright Hummer of Pittsburgh. On the first two trips, a tech rode with me and verified the noise and said it must be tire pressure? It's not. Contacted Hummer because of lightbar and roofrail crack and this time(I wasn't at dealer)they couldn't verify noise. Must be deaf. I suspect it is the tulip style jointon front driveshaft at t-case. Can anyone help?

Old 03-31-2007, 11:17 PM

Wish I could help ya Daisy, but welcome to the site.

I also take my Hummer to Wright. (small world)

Old 04-01-2007, 02:09 AM

I had the same sound on my H3. I took to the dealer, the technician rode with me and heard the ticking just as you described and he couldnt figure it out. They jack it up and look around and decide that my skid plate is missing 3 bolts and that was the source of the noise. They call me and tell me it's fixed I go pick it up and drive off in it and the ticking noise is still there, I drive back and tell them it is not fixed and I am not satisfied. They keep it another day and send me home in a loaner. Finally they call me the next day and tell me it was the drive shaft and it was coming apart at the transfer case..turns out that was the problem and no more noise for me. I did ask them if eventually it would've broke all the way and they said yes, so you might wanna get that checked out soon and rule out the driveshaft.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:46 AM

Excellent bit of informatin..[sm=type.gif]

Old 04-01-2007, 06:29 PM

My next oil change is coming up in less than a month, I will mention that to them and tell them the source of the info. I wasn't the first owner of my H3. It was a dealer loaner for a few months before I got it and there was already 4000 miles on it, I'm only at 8500 now.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:48 AM

I have experienced the same with my Dad's Mercedes turn signal. It's really disgusting![:@]

Old 05-07-2007, 10:52 PM

I had the same thing happen with my prior vehicle a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Took it to the dealer 4 times they could only duplicate the noise when it was cold outside! Needless to say I sold it and purchased the H3 which I love!! [sm=roll.gif]

Jenn

Quick Reply: Odd ticking sound