PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Which OBD II tool is the best for diagnostics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 01:25 PM

What ever brand you do get, make sure that you are able to upgrade. The Actron model I have will only read to 2009 and its at its max.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by 82Toy
Also some auto parts stores i.e. Advance, Autozone will read the codes for you as well.
Good to know... thanks man!

By the way, this is the one I got. A bit pricey, but I needed support for Windows and this one got the highest marks by far for any of the Windows devices, and it was one of the highest rated overall.

http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-427201-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Diagnostic/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421190892&sr=8-1&keywords=ScanTool+427201 http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-427201-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Diagnostic/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421190892&sr=8-1&keywords=ScanTool+427201

Looks like I will be getting this just in time as the H3 randomly threw a "Traction Control Failure, Service Stab System" Code today once when I started it. Did not show up again upon subsequent starts, but it will be good to be able to track this thing down. Have any of you guys ever run into that issue? I did a search of the Forum and it would appear that this is a known issue and has one of several solutions once the source of the problem is tracked down.

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...s-codes-10767/

Last edited by ProphetPVD; 01-13-2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Reorganized location of URL links...
Old 01-14-2015, 07:59 AM

I had this similar code and it was maf sensor throwing code. Mine was not random but if you do pull sensor it can be tested( youtube has video) so you do not waste money replacing random parts

Old 01-15-2015, 04:39 PM

Well, an update for you guys. Got my ScanTool OBDLink yesterday and not a moment too soon. The CEL has been on for a week solid and this morning got a "Traction Failed, Service Stab Sys, Serv 4WD" message on the DIC. The 4WD system appears to be inoperable currently, and none of the 4WD modes (4, 4Hi Lock, 4Lo Lock) are illuminating at the switches. I used the ScanTool and got a P0454 Powertrain Error Code which is an "Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Intermittent".

I have no idea where that sensor is as the only service manuals I have been able to find online are over at Schwarttzy's, and those are for a 2006. I did do a search of his Electrical Components document for the '06, and found two instances of what "could" be it. One is the "Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve", which is on the side of the engine, just below the intake manifold. The other is the "Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Solenoid Valve", which appears to be mounted on the frame near the back of the vehicle. So, first question I have is, has anyone ever had this same issue and if so, which of those, if either, is the one which needs to be looked at?

Second question is more simple... does anyone know where I can find the official GM service manuals for the 2009 H3? I have no problem paying for them, but would rather not spend $300 for the set over at eBay.

Last edited by ProphetPVD; 01-15-2015 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added info re. inoperable 4WD system...
Old 01-16-2015, 09:20 AM

I would first check gas cap this can throw this error code then look at solenoid back by gas tank,If you overfill gas tank when fueling, after fuel pump shuts off this can be stuck. It is plastic and can be taken apart and cleaned.A common gm part to go out and a 40 replacement if ordered on net.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by badss98
I would first check gas cap this can throw this error code then look at solenoid back by gas tank,If you overfill gas tank when fueling, after fuel pump shuts off this can be stuck. It is plastic and can be taken apart and cleaned.A common gm part to go out and a 40 replacement if ordered on net.
Thank's for the response badass. I know it's not the gas cap... that was one of the first things I tried. The solenoid you are referring to... is that this item right here?

I got under there last night and found the EVAP Cansiter. It does not look like a lot of fun to try and get out of there... it appears there is a single fastener that holds the entire assembly in place, however I am not positive. Another issue is that I have not figured out how to find the correct part number to order a replacement for my specific vehicle. I searched the forum and found another thread (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-switch-29865/) where a member had a similar problem to mine and replaced that solenoid valve, however the part number he purchased, "AC Delco P/N 214-2149" is not listed as a valid part for the '09 H3.

I have to say, this is starting to get seriously frustrating. I rebuilt a very rare '02 Ducati from the ground up, and have no problem doing this type of work myself, however, without having access to the proper replacement part numbers this becomes an almost impossible task. Ducati has a downloadable Parts Catalog for EVERY SINGLE motorcycle they build. I am positive that GM has these for their vehicles as well. Why in the world is it so difficult to find this information?

Old 01-16-2015, 10:25 AM

yes that is the one, unplug the electrical clip and it is mounted on a slide bracket that has a push to release clip. The tube can be a pain in the *** but it will come off. The round cap on top will come off and there is a filter inside that you can clean and i used brake cleaner to get my solenoid clean on the side of canister. If that solenoid is stuck the will get it working again. And if you buy a replacement you will need to cut the tube off about 3/4 on the end as the replacement is smaller diameter,not flared out. Go to parts geek and search part #cvs6 less than 20 bucks or they have one with tubing attached for 63

Old 01-16-2015, 02:33 PM

Guys, can anyone confirm that GM P/N 25932569 (ACDelco #214-2147) is the correct part number for the Evap Canister Solenoid Valve? It does not show up as being compatible for the '09 H3, however I think this is due to the part being superseded by a new GM P/N 20907779.

Am going to remove the evap canister tomorrow and see if the existing valve is repairable, if not I want to make sure I am ordering the correct part. The local GM dealer has the new part in stock, but it is $140 and requires a $36 electrical harness adapter as the connector has changed.

It is absolutely ridiculous that it is this hard to track down the correct part number for this thing. There has got to be a better way...

Old 01-17-2015, 02:32 AM

Sorry i put wrong part # in the correct replacement #3008-07163413 at partsgeek.com and this is a direct replacement made by dorman 2009 h3 cost 68.00

Old 01-18-2015, 02:28 PM

Well... I "serviced" the existing evap valve solenoid assembly yesterday, and it seemed to work, but after 30 minutes or so outside in the cold, the CEL was back on and I got the same error code again. Am pretty sure the cold weather is affecting the solenoids ability to respond consistently, which throws the error.

Name:  WP_20150117_004_zpscffa96e8.jpg
Views: 3422
Size:  64.3 KB

Am going to order a new one shortly... just wondering if anyone knows if it can be purchased as shown in the image above. Getting that hose and fitting off of the valve is going to be a massive pain in the ***.

Quick Reply: Which OBD II tool is the best for diagnostics?