PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Which OBD II tool is the best for diagnostics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Default Which OBD II tool is the best for diagnostics?

As Doc Olds has already spoken to me re. my erroneous Necro Bump this afternoon, as well as answered a question I had re. clearing the CEL, I see no reason to start another thread on exactly the same topic. Therefore, after searching and finding no current thread re. OBD II scanners/readers, I thought it best to start a new one.

So, short story even shorter, my new to me, '09 H3 Adventure has been running flawlessly since I got it three weeks ago, yet the CEL (Check Engine Lamp I am assuming) became illuminated on Monday of this week. As I am used to doing as much maintenance as possible myself on the vehicles that I own, I thought it best to look into purchasing a tool to allow me to do OBD II diagnostics myself in order to be better educated about what I need to fix, or need to ask my local GMC dealer to take a look at.

So... ball is in your court... what do you guys recommend?

And Doc... sorry about the bump. Won't happen again.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

It's all good. Great first thread! Name:  nanadrinkkris.gif
Views: 3838
Size:  4.0 KB

I do not have a OBD II reader "tool", but I do use a ScanGauge II mounted on the dash in a Daystar Dash Panel for additional gauges that will also read and delete stored codes. For more in depth scanning, my neighbor across the street has a nice commercial version tool, but I cannot recall the brand??? I suffer from CRS (Can't Remember Sheet).

Old 01-09-2015, 03:34 PM

I just have a Bluetooth reader that plugs into the OBD II port ($25 for a decent one on eBay). I downloaded the pay version of the Torque app ($5) and I can get real time info on our rigs, read and clear codes too.

Probably the best $30 investment and I've made other than the case of Techtron.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:09 PM

I bought a Bluetooth OBD 2 reader from amazon. It's the BAFX Scan Tool. $22 bucks free shipping. I then downloaded the Torque Free app and paired my phone to the scan tool. Gives me real time data, more than I'd ever need.

Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive

Old 01-10-2015, 09:17 AM

I use the BAFX bluetooth module also, it works great for CEL but thats about it. Recently had some issues with my wifes cadillac - ABS/TCS lights were coming on. I ended up buying a tech2 clone and it works great. I can now check all codes - monitor pids, etc. Definitely worth it if you work on your own vehicles and prefer not to bring it to the dealer

Old 01-10-2015, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
I just have a Bluetooth reader that plugs into the OBD II port ($25 for a decent one on eBay). I downloaded the pay version of the Torque app ($5) and I can get real time info on our rigs, read and clear codes too.

Probably the best $30 investment and I've made other than the case of Techtron.
I went this route too, and the best part is the portability. it does not take that much space to carry in the vehicle.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:14 AM

I own a techtron and it has worked great if you do purchase any of these make sure you can read not only obd2 codes but abs codes, Allot of the code readers will not read abs and you will find this is a necessary tool

Old 01-11-2015, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by badss98
I own a techtron and it has worked great if you do purchase any of these make sure you can read not only obd2 codes but abs codes, Allot of the code readers will not read abs and you will find this is a necessary tool

Can you elaborate a bit? What are ABS codes? Do I need this functionality to read error codes from the H3? Or are these simply diagnostic codes specific to the ABS system?

Last edited by ProphetPVD; 01-11-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:48 AM

ABS codes are anti lock braking system, and some of your sensors will be tied into this system so if a break sensor for example would bring up a code you would be able to repair this and reset your trouble light on dash and know what the problem was instead of guessing.Some basic readers will not give you specific data on abs codes and it is a great asset when tracking down errors which may come up.

Last edited by badss98; 01-12-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-13-2015, 01:21 PM

Also some auto parts stores i.e. Advance, Autozone will read the codes for you as well.

Quick Reply: Which OBD II tool is the best for diagnostics?