PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

This noise is driving me crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Default This noise is driving me crazy!!!

I've had my 07 H2 for a while now, and was driving a 2010 Rubicon for a few years. Finally got sick of not having much room in my Rubicon, and decided to purchase a 2009 H3 Championship Edition. Love the truck, but it's had a strange noise that I can't diagnose, nor can the dealer. It's driving me crazy. Here's the info:

2009 CE with 5.3L engine
24,000 miles
underside is clean, no rust.

1) This noise is loud. On a scale of 1 being you have to listen to hear it, and 10 being it sounds like a hammer hitting your door panel, it's a 12!
2) It only happens when taking a corner, mostly to the left. It will also happen if you turn right, but not as frequent. It's kinda like you hear the noise when you turn left, and then if you turn right you will hear it again, and then another left turn it will do it again. It's a back and forth issue. You can feel it in the floorboard as well.
3) The strange thing is it will completely disappear if you drive in the rain. It will stay completely gone for a few days, after a rainy day, until whatever got wet drys out. As long as it's raining it's a perfect truck! There is no noise, and you can't feel it in the floorboard.
4) It is coming from the right rear passenger's side. I had someone hang onto the outside of the truck as I made a slow turn...and they located the noise in that area. Just can't pinpoint it.

I have gone over this 3 about 10 times. Everything looks good. Checked the body mounts. Checked every bolt under there to make sure it is tight. Put new shocks in. There is no visible evidence or wear showing.
Brought it to the dealer...they hear it, but can't figure it out either. They said to just drive it. I don't want to keep driving it, if it is something that is dangerous.
Does anyone have any ideas what this may be? Anyone experience symptoms similar to this? If so, what fixed it???

Last edited by solarflare; 10-18-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Gremlins?

Possibly Artesians or Gnomes.

I truly wish I could help, but without actually hearing what you are describing...... I got nothin. Maybe somebody else had this problem.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:27 AM

Well at this point I'm thinking to place a voice recorder under the vehicle in different locations to find the problem. I did that a long time ago and it was the only way to find out what was wrong.

Last edited by solarflare; 10-18-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
I truly wish I could help, but without actually hearing what you are describing...... I got nothin. Maybe somebody else had this problem.
The sound is a metallic sound, like metal to metal, and sounds like a person is hitting your rig with a hammer.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:41 PM

You might try checking the brake caliper pins. Mine had one that backed out of the caliper, got bent by the wheel and was pinging the inside of the rim on turns. Took me a while to track it down.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:08 PM

well after looking under my significant other's rig, I noticed that his body mounts have rubber/plastic discs that touch the floorboards. When I looked at mine, I have metal washers. Hmmmmm......
The ones in the back bumper area have two metal washers back to back, and the one in the rear wheel well has one. I bet that is what is doing it. Going to spray some fluid film on the two passenger's side rear body mounts and see what happens. It's a really good lubricant, and a non corrosive film that you can put on the undercarriage to protect the vehicle from the salt on the roads

Old 10-19-2011, 05:14 AM

Hopefully you found the source of your noise. My body mounts make noise as well but it is more of a popping type sound and I can't feel it. I don't know how rain would be a factor, but if it turns out not to be body mounts I would check your steering rack. Hunner has a thread about fixing the steering rack. There is an issue with the way it is mounted that can cause it to become loose. You will have to get under the vehicle to look straight up at the rack as it is tucked away.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:20 AM

My story, hope it helps
I had strange "suspension" noises that only occurred after going up to the high desert here in Nevada. I also suspected the body mounts and the noise only occurred when the road was dry. If it was raining, the noise was gone.
My routine now is to silicone spray all my body mounts after cleaning the truck after my return from off roading. No noise now
Hope yours fix is as easy

Attached Thumbnails This noise is driving me crazy!!!-h3-body-mounts.jpg  

Last edited by wfturner; 10-19-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:33 AM

Has your concern been resolved? I would be glad to look into this for you on my end as well. Please feel free to contact me privately with more information including the last eight of your VIN for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.