PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

No Power H3

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Default No Power H3

I need to know if anyone has had a problem with their H3, putting itself into what is called the aloof mode? (That is what the dealer called it)
Today driving to work, HWY speed, 100kmph …….my H3 2007 went into aloof mode…..it is where the H3 powers down. From what I was told, the Hummer does this to protect itself, the engine drops to a slower speed, and you hear the whining of the engine, I tapped the break, and watched the speedometer drop to 80 and then 60kmph…..I tried to accelerate but there was no response from the engine. I pulled to the side of the road, and called the dealer where I bought my H3 from. He asked me if I had it in 4x4, I said no…..just driving along and it put itself into aloof mode, I can’t move a inch. The motor makes a whining sound if I put it into drive, or low. In neutral it’s fine.
He told me that, I might have something frozen underneath, it was extremely cold out this morning. -33c….I warmed it up 30 minutes, before I drove off the farm, as I do every morning.
I was at least 10 min’s into my 20 min drive to work when it happened.
Dealer had it towed into their shop where I bought it. Said they started it up, it ran just fine. Put the computer on it, and there was no errors. They kept it over night and want to run some more test tomorrow. Gave me a car to drive home, how insulting after driving a H3…..I felt like I was in a toboggan…….too low to the road. But thankful for the car!
Is there anyone out there that has had this happen to them.
One other thing, there was heavy oil that dropped from the front of the H3, this aloof mode happened to me just after I bought the vehicle in March on this year.So this really is the second time I've had this happen. The first time, they told me it was because, when they changed the dif seal, they did not push the shaft back far enough.
My son reminded me that the first time it happened, it was also a very cold day.
I do not know what to think of this. I like my Hummer but I’m worried that there might be something more serious going on then I know.
What do you think?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Wally2007 (Wendy )

Old 12-08-2009, 08:25 PM

Sorry don't have a clue what's going on, please keep us updated though. Good Luck

Old 12-09-2009, 11:27 PM

Update on my H3, I called early this morning to the Hummer Dealer up North, talked with the service guy, said it sounds like your front diff is piling up on you. I told him I had it towed to the dealer where I bought it, he asked that I have them call him.
At the shop where my H3 is right now, they said they are pulling the diff out to see if they took off the O ring that was to be left on, he said on a 3/4 ton when it is shipped they remove it, but on a H3 it is to be left on.........Back in March when it went into this (LIMP MODE) that is what it's called not ALOOF MODE......LOL....It puts itself into neutral, so the H3 protects itself from doing any damage....... Thank God.....I told the shop, maybe we should just have it towed up North and let the Hummer dealer deal with it.......they said no, we replaced the diff seal, and if it's our fault we will make it right. I'm not so sure that they really know what they are doing. The first time it was repaired, they where a GM dealership......but since the cut backs, they no longer are.......they have been in business for 33 yrs, we have dealt with this company for years. But I do not think they really know much about Hummers at all.
I told them, I hope you are really going to look at this properly this is the second time this has happened. I'm consernd about any damage that might have happened, there was grinding sounds, I'm no mechanic, but I do know that grinding metal is NOT a Good thing. He said Not to worry they will make it right.
They did give me a car to drive, still feel like I'm in a tobbogan on snow covered roads, I Really MISS MY HUMMER!
An just a note to pass on to you Hummer Owners, here in Canada, the warrenty will cover a rental if your Hummer has to go into the shop under warrenty, but it's only $40.00 a day. I checked it out, and that would only get me a smaller tobbagon then I have right now. I asked when I bought my H3, if what I heard was true, if there are repairs to the H3 that I would have to take it to a Hummer Dealer, I would like to do that, but the nearest Hummer Dealer is 3 hr's away. Of course they said no we can take care of minor things here....... but of course what is said and what really is are two diffent things. But I am still happy with my H3, It is a Tough and rugged truck, An like most other comments I've read, I laugh when people say.........YOU DRIVE A HUMMER! LOL........YES I DO!

Old 12-10-2009, 01:21 AM

should still be under warranty shouldnt it? if it was, should have had it towed to the hummer dealer up north, have them pay for the tow, fix the vehicle and deliver it back to you. its their problem. not yours. not to mention they need to give you a courtesy vehicle.