PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Nitto Dune Grapplers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Default Nitto Dune Grapplers?

Is anyone running Nitto Dune Grapplers? If so any pics on a H3? Thanks

Old 01-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Default RE: Nitto Dune Grapplers?

haven't seen pics on an h3 but my buddy has them on his ford....nice tire, great onroad handling...quiet...good in rain...not great in mud or rocks but is better than most AT tires.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:03 PM

I want to go larger on the tires but can't decide between The Nitto's or the BFG Mud terrian! Any help!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:40 PM

How about Mud Grapplers?!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-19-2008, 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: saywhat

I want to go larger on the tires but can't decide between The Nitto's or the BFG Mud terrian! Any help!
Well...the tires you list are in different ballparks really. If you do any offroading I would NOT get the dune grapplers...they are an all terrain tire, great for street but not so great off road....now before people start jumping me saying an AT tire is fine for offroad...here is my point of view on the subject....you are spending money for new tires, now I always get a tire that I KNOW will get me out of whatever I may come across....sure an AT will do just fine most of the time...BUT if your 50 miles from home and 4 miles into a trail and run into mud that there is no way to get around....I'd sure as hell want a set of good mudders under the truck....get stuck with a set of AT and you'll be kicking yourself the whole walk home. That is why even though my hummer is mostly a pavement pounder I still have agrresive mud tires...cause when I do take the h3 instead of the jeep I want to know that I have as good a chance as possible to NOT get stuck. SO if you take my advise and get a mud tire I WOULD NOT get a BFG MT....they have used the samn tread design and compound for 20 years and there is no siping, which makes for a slippery ride in rain,snow and ice. I have tried damn near every MT on the market over the years and here are my top 5

5...super swamper ssr - GREAT offroad tire, but they have a nice humm at highway speeds....also took some time to get balanced.
4...interco trxus - again GREAT offroad tire, not too bad as far as noise and have a great on road drive..I had 35's on my dually and drove from NJ to Miami and back with no problems at all.
3...Mud Grapplers....no cmplaints at all for this tire's performance, but they do wear slightly faster than most and are $$$$$
2...Parnelli Jones Dirt Gripz....GREAT on and offroad, lots of siping makes them great in wet and ice. Very unique tread patterns get lots of attention...only downside is they wear at the same rate as the grapplers. they get ranked higher than the grapplers because they are quiet..very very quiet (at least they are on my jeep)
1...Mickey Thompson MTZ's...best all around mud tire I have EVER tried...aggresive tread and sidewall biters make them an attention grabber and make them amazing in any terrain I have thrown at them. Keep in mind I do NOT rock crawl so I can't speak firsthand about that but JP mag had them oon a jeep and they said they did very well in all catagories, including rock crawling. They are quiet..maybe not as quiet as the parnelli jones but close. They get ranked above the PJ dirt gripz because so far they are wearing slower than I could have imagined. I'm still around 75% tread life left and have had them on for close to 20,000 miles so far.

again this is my OPINION....but I talk from first hand experiance on all of them.Hope this helps ya!!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:16 PM

dune grapplers are made for sand,,, and on road use.... won't be very good in mud or trails but there great in sand

Old 01-19-2008, 11:57 PM

Once again, Thanks Importkiller for the good advise! and everyone else that gave their two sense!

Old 01-20-2008, 02:38 AM

I would really look at your driving habits and conditions in relation to were you live to decide on your type of tire as Importkiller noted also the different types and brands.