PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

newbie mistake? air ride and lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Default newbie mistake? air ride and lift

Hello, new to the site. I bought an 05 SUT today with the victory red special edition. I started picking out a wheel package then decided to go for a six inch lift, but to my surprise it seems my truck is a rare bird with the air ride system in the rear. I'm disappointed bc everything I've read (all dated articles) say I need to remove the system and have the PCM flashed? Really? No vendor.makes a lift for this version without me tearing it apart?

Thanks for anyone's help in advance.

JM

Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Wap

I also have an 05 sut with rear lift. I have a 4 inch lift but i bought the sut with it all done. When i took it to the local 4x4 shop to make sure it was done right he said it was and the rear lift must be disassembled. They also missed up my air compressor so i need to get that fixed.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:51 PM

Rancho has one. 4" kit but actually is more like 6". They offer a kit for both coil and airbag equiped H2's. expeditionhardware dot com
http://gorancho.com/suspension.php?m...hummer_h2#lift

IMO, the air susp. is problamatic. Changing out springs and shocks with your new lift/ esp. with Rancho/ delete the air bags, and you will have a better than stock ride. You won;t miss the factory bags. If you do tow, there are air ride bags that will help with rear end sag from the extra weight. that and are much more reliable and will not effect ride height like the factory bags do.

I have had issues with the airbags in the past, it's just easier/ less hassle to put better shocks on to give you a better ride AND assist bags for towing if needed.

...hope that helps.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 AM

Ok thank you for the response. Just seems hard to buy a vehicle and then take parts out that seems purpose built. It seems to function really well.

I was noticing the Rancho system does not work if you you have electronically controlled rear shocks. How do I make this determination?

Furthermore, if I take out the airride system, looks like I can go with any lift, in which case Fabtech looks like the most popular...

Old 01-11-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by johnny010
Ok thank you for the response. Just seems hard to buy a vehicle and then take parts out that seems purpose built. It seems to function really well.

I was noticing the Rancho system does not work if you you have electronically controlled rear shocks. How do I make this determination?

Furthermore, if I take out the airride system, looks like I can go with any lift, in which case Fabtech looks like the most popular...
Fabtech and Rancho are the two most popular. I have ridden in and driven both. I have owned Rancho only and prefer the ride of that kit. You can run 38's on teh Racnho. If you are going to run 40's, go Fabtech.

If you are putting a Rancho lift on, it doesn't matter what shock you currently have, casue they are getting changed out anyhow. you get two choices? air ride or coil spring. So that makes it easy to deal with. If you are going to use Fabtech, you will need to bipass your air ride and reflash. easy swap.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the info so far.

I was told by 4wheel parts that I will likely get an error message on the dash when I delete the bags/compressor. I called over to the GM shop that did most of the service work on Hummers here in Houston, and the shop foreman told me that I would need a programmer to get rid of the error light on the dash (not something they do)???? 4wheelparts is saying no, it should be flashed at the dealer.

Has anyone gone through this? Also, the guy at 4wheelparts hasnt gone from an airride to coils before, so he was asking me if they would need to do anything else to mount the coils. I didn't know, so wasn't sure.

Anyone have input?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:33 PM

I can't help you with the air suspension issue since I have coils on my 05 H2. But to give you an idea on how a Rancho 4inch lift with 38s look like, here it is.
Name:  001_v2.jpg
Views: 2345
Size:  85.2 KB

Last edited by ador; 01-13-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ador
I can't help you with the air suspension issue since I have coils on my 05 H2. But to give you an idea on how a Rancho 4inch lift with 38s look like, here it is.
Awesome! Did you have to trim to fit the 38's? What tires did you choose? Wheels?

Old 01-13-2011, 12:06 PM

Looks like I may have found a solution to getting the service light off...

"Replaced Airbags with Coils - Service Air Suspension Light stays on???
My '03 H2 went through two compressors when I said enough is enough. I went to a spring shop and replaced my airbags with coils.
Ride height and overall right is just as good as before.
My only problem now is "Service Air Suspension" light in the DIC stays on!
Is there a fuse or relay that I can remove to stop the message from displaying all the time?
I tryed unplugging the compressor harness but it didn't do anything."

RESPONSE:

"Got tired of mine too http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24471

Look in the front drivers side fender well for a wiring harness that has a relay plugged into it, remove it, it is for the air suspension.

It will be just to the right of the shock tower in this pic. I took all the air suspension parts out, wiring and all but in there is a relay, try it and see if the light goes out, may have to pull negative lead on battery for a bit to clear codes/warning after taking it out."

REPLY:

"Thanks for the info Ed. I found the relay.
Can I just cut the whole thing off? I tryed unplugging it, but it seems that only one end can unplug exposing the prongs.
Can I leave it like that or does that whole thing need to come out?
Thanks."

RESPONSE:
"Don't have a answer for ya on that, might pull the relay and wrap electrical tape around the plug to seal it off, at least to see if the warning goes out. All those wires are gone on mine, all the way back....and everything else too.

When you unpluged the module on the compressor did you pull the negative lead on the battery to try to clear codes/warning ?

Ed"

REPLY:

"OK, wrapped the end with electrical tape, pulled negative lead for about 15 mins.
Started it up and NO "Service Air Suspension" light!!!
Whoo Hooo... thanks ED!
I will drive around tomorrow a bit and see if it stays out.. i got a feeling I won't see that notification ever again!!!"

"Pulled out the relay, check
Disconnected connector completly from compressor, check
Disconnected battery for a few minutes to clear codes, check"

source: http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=38543

Attached Thumbnails newbie mistake?  air ride and lift-air_suspension_001.jpg   newbie mistake?  air ride and lift-compressor_mounts_013b.jpg