PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New/Used Hummer with a couple of issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Default New/Used Hummer with a couple of issues?

Bought an 05 with 65,000 miles a couple of weeks ago and I've been steadily replacing little things just to get it back to factory looks.

I now noticed that when I push the 4-wheel drive low button, the light flashes a little while then just goes out? This can't be right? The 4 wheel drive high button works, although is it suppose to get sluggish after it engages? I assume so since it's engaged and getting more traction?

Now, I just realized that I have power folding mirrors but only the passenger side works. I hear the motor on the driver side doing something but the mirror doesn't fold. What could that be? The truck has a 30 day power train warranty so I assume I can take it back to the dealer for the 4 wheel drive issue.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-05-2013, 07:52 PM

Okay, figured out how to put it in 4 lo. Didn't realize it had to be in neutral first. I guess that's what happens when you don't have the owners manual. Still have an issue with the driver side folding mirror.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:45 PM

probably need a mirror, just replace both of mine on an 07 - 62k miles

Old 06-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Default owners manual

Originally Posted by Godwinrb
Okay, figured out how to put it in 4 lo. Didn't realize it had to be in neutral first. I guess that's what happens when you don't have the owners manual. Still have an issue with the driver side folding mirror.
You can easily get an owners manual over the internet. Just type in 2005 Hummer H2 owners manual in your web browser and you should see several places that you can click on and simply download it straight to your computer.

Additionally, you can then read it over and find exactly how to activate and deactivate your 4WD system, (yes, the main transmission should be in neutral first before making any changes).

There are also videos on YouTube about how to use the system. Look like you got some good reading ahead.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by sycraft
probably need a mirror, just replace both of mine on an 07 - 62k miles
Did you get oem mirrors or aftermarket that look like oem? Reason being, aftermarket cost about half as much as the oem and I'm not sure they are an exact match and are power folding mirrors?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Default mirrors

Another issue regarding the mirrors is the wiring and connectors. There were some changes between the old mirrors and the new ones. While you could get them mounted, the wiring and connectors are not the same between models. Be sure that the ones you decide to purchase will connect properly to your model year H2 or you might have some rather creative wiring modifications to do.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:30 PM

mine are new oem. they are pricey, but only oem for me...

Old 06-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Default 2006 Hummer H2 with some small issues...

Hey, all!

I'm new to the forum. A week or so ago, I picked up a used 2006 Hummer H2. It's got some problems...

1) As soon as I bought it, I took it to a GM dealership to inspect everything and let me know what was wrong with it. They told me everything looked great (not bad for 126K miles) except for -- Each exhaust manifold has a bolt broken off. They said -- Best case, they could get the bolt stem out, and I'd be looking at a couple hundred bucks. BUT, if they couldn't, they've have to remove the heads and have them <whatever they do>. The difference is a few hundred bucks to $1800 bucks!

2) It rained REALLY hard today and noticed my seat heaters turning on -- I kept turning them off, but they'd pop on, go down in intensity, turn off, then back on all by themselves. I pulled the carpet up on the drivers side and there was a good inch or so of water. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from. Near the drivers handle (on the pillar, next to the windshield), I noticed a few drops of water.

I've seen in some other posts that it could be:

1) The tinted wind-screen for the sunroof
2) clogged drains for the sunroof
3) the OnStar antenna
4) rubber seals around the doors
5) Anything else?

Finding leaks is painful. I've washed the new Hummer several times and not noticed any leaks. No water dripping from the hand-pull on the pillar. But in this latest rain, I did see some.

Where would you guys try first? It's easy enough for me to pull the sunroof wind deflector, use some silicone to make sure it's sealed. I'm even willing to replace the rubber seals around all the doors (If I can find a good kit (OEM preferred). I didn't see anything that might be open between the firewall and interior.

Back to the exhaust manifold... I figure when I have $2000 I can plunk down just to be on the safe side, I'll do that. One bolt is broken on each side of the engine. I figure they'll be able to get at least one, but have to send the head for the other one. It''s just one excuse how they make their money.

I also have a 2005 Ford Expedition and it needed a tune up. Ford uses those special spark plugs (spark on plug or whatever it's called.) With that particular engine, they said those plugs were prone to breaking and Ford even created a special extraction tool. Surprise surprise, they did break one. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I expected them to break at least two. So maybe I'll get lucky getting the exhaust manifold bolts fixed!

The leak is what bothers me the most. I know it's painful to find the source and I don't want to spend $1500 bucks to find out, "Oh, it was just the screw holding the sunroof windscreen on."

Old 06-07-2013, 02:06 PM

The roof marker lights also are a known issue, take them off and seal with some clear silicone, no more leaks after I did mine...

Old 06-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Default Leaky Lights

Originally Posted by sycraft
The roof marker lights also are a known issue, take them off and seal with some clear silicone, no more leaks after I did mine...
I did take the roof light over the drivers side off and the rubber grommet popped right out. I did seal it with silicone so, hopefully it holds. It rained a little last night and I didn't see any new water coming in. It's supposed to rain harder later today so, I'll check it again.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: New/Used Hummer with a couple of issues?