PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New Shoes (Falken Rocky Mountain Tires)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:34 PM
rsc

Sorry, meant to say I'm thinking of mounting up some MTR's on a spare set of wheels, not another set of the Falkens in a 35" tire.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:32 AM

Happy trails with tires. ;-)
Chris

Old 01-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Default Falcon Rocky Mountain Tires - Awesome

I purchased as set from Discount Tire just before going on a 1 month hunting trip thru December in Idaho. I had nothing but great luck with these tires. The trip started by crossing windy Wyoming pulling a small trailer with my H3. The ride was extremely smooth with no road noise. gettting into snowy and icy roads thru Teton National Park

Old 01-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Default Falcon Rocky Mountain Tires - cont

My original post above was posted before I was finished. - Continuing from my previous post:

The Falcon Rocky Mountain tires had exceptional highway traction, both on the snow covered roads and icy patches where the snow had melted and froze.

Being new tires I was testing them in both 2 hi and 4 hi to get a feel for how they handled, both on the snow covered highways and off road. All the off road travel was snow covered. On the highway travel I only locked it in 4 hi to have the extra comfort of not getting caught off guard when traveling at higher speeds on icy roads. But in reality I never felt a slip in the times I chose to drive in 2 hi on snow covered roads. The tires handled well in both 2 and 4 hi in all situations.

I hunted off road for 17 days in snow and ice. It was too cold for mud so I have no experience there yet.

The worst situation I got into and best test was in snow was about 14" deep when I decided it was time to turn around on the narrow forest road that wasn't being maintained or plowed. It was progressively getting deeper and time to turn around before I got somewhere I didn't need to be.

I got half way turned around and sideways in the road when a logging truck came over the hill and didn't look like he was going to slow down, so my only option was to get out of his way and into the barrow pit I went, which is where I didn't want to be, off the road in heavy snow.

I thought for sure I was going to be stuck and at this point was thinking I should have paid the extra $400 + for the Goodyear Wrangler Dura Tracs that were in the store display next to the Falcons.

The tires tried to slip and felt like I may have been stuck, but I rocked back and forth to prevent sinking in and spinning and after a couple tries they grabbed traction with some forward momentum and pulled me out and up on the road. I was sold at this point that these tires are much better than they appear, especially considering the cost savings.

I did get into wet highway roads on the way back across Wyoming from fresh melted snow and they handled just as well then as they had in all other situations during my trip, with no issues at all, with a smooth ride and exceptional traction.

I never got them in mud and I never tried to do any extreme off roading. On the other hand I took a full set of heavy tire chains on the 17 day hunting trip and never had to use them once, they are still new in the box.

The bottom line for me is the Falcon Rocky Mountain tires to this point (approx 3,000 miles) have have performed extremely well in all situations I've encountered. They are smooth on the highway, perform well on snow covered, wet and icy roads and do very well on off road snow covered roads. These tires were stock size.

I would buy the Falcon Rocky Mountain tires again anytime.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by mulesear
I purchased as set from Discount Tire just before going on a 1 month hunting trip thru December in Idaho. I had nothing but great luck with these tires. The trip started by crossing windy Wyoming pulling a small trailer with my H3.

Originally Posted by mulesear
Being new tires I was testing them in both 2 hi and 4 hi to get a feel for how they handled, both on the snow covered highways and off road. All the off road travel was snow covered. On the highway travel I only locked it in 4 hi to have the extra comfort of not getting caught off guard when traveling at higher speeds on icy roads. But in reality I never felt a slip in the times I chose to drive in 2 hi on snow covered roads. The tires handled well in both 2 and 4 hi in all situations.
Sorry Bro, I can't take anything you post in any kind of a serious manner since you stated you installed them an an H3 and you go on and on about 2wd! Heck, it even says it on the switch!!!!

You either don't know your own vehicle or you do not have an H3. If you do own an H3 and you do not know your own vehicle enough to know it is FULL TIME 4 Wheel DRIVE how can anyone accept your "tire knowledge" as gospel?????

Do you work for Falcon Tires and just find posts on the internet and post up the story and change the vehicle name???

Last edited by TAINTER; 01-02-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:10 AM

I agree with you Tainter.

I will say that on my H3 these tires have been great on road. I have not had them offroad yet but the ride/noise are just what I was after. I only have about 800 miles on them to date and will update as I get more mileage and some offroad adventures on them.

FWIW my H3 is ALWAYS in 4WD.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Sumitomo Rubber Industries will never get my business.
Well good for you!

Good Looking rig. Tires look nice and I'm sure they will serve their purpose whether they came from the USA or they came from Japan and were then later moved by an American Dock Worker, transported by American Semi truck driver, stored by an American Company, and were installed by an American Worker!

Old 01-03-2012, 06:32 PM

Tainter Bro, I have to admit I was using incorrect terminology and should have been technically correct on how drivetrain works to explain performance of tires. I'm old school when it comes to driving a 4wd vehicle and grew up around 4wd vehicles when you locked it in you were in 4wd and when locked it out you were out you were in 2wd. I’ve never really considered Full-time 4wd as being 4wd in the real sense, or there would be no need for the other option of 4hi lock. Full time would do everything in all situations. What’s the purpose for 4hi-lock if 4hi provides engine power to all four wheels? But I’m not the expert there, it sounds like you are, so you can start getting technical so you can discount this post.

When I wrote the original post and I said 2hi I meant 4hi, and when I said 4hi I meant 4-lock and admit my mistake. So if you make those corrections in your mind there is nothing to whine about.

I think you missed the entire point of my post anyway, it was about a real world test on the performance of the tires in a wide range of driving conditions and not who knows the most about all the specific functions of the available H3 transfer case, transmission and axle options and how the H3 drive train system works in conjunction with the TCS/StabiliTrak system.

Your argument that my lack of knowledge of the H3 drivetrain and all the technical aspects is actually an argument works in favor of the tires, not against it. Because if I didn't know anything about how any of the H3 drivetrain worked or how to operate the 4WD system properly means the fact I never slipped or got stuck or had any problems in the conditions I described says the tires would then have to be rated exceptional for saving me from myself.

I don't think you’re interested in knowing how the tires performed and more concerned about splitting hairs to come off as the expert, which maybe you are, but who cares. The tires are exceptional tires. How long they last I don’t know yet, but maybe you can tell me.

And just to clear up the other point you were trying to make, I have no connection to the tire industry nor am I an employee of Falken. In fact I'm surprised you didn't catch the fact I spelled it falcon which would have somehow furthered your argument that I don't know anything about my H3 so the tire performance experience could not have been real.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:46 PM

mulesear

Much better. You have to look around on the boards and see that there is alot of folks who "pretend" to be somebody they are not by offering up suggestions and making "false claims" that they know stuff about Hummer parts or any other part depending on the forum they are on. Tainter just called it as he saw it and as most on here would have. Welcome to the forum and I am glad you like the tires. So do I. Heres to many more miles on the Falkens

Old 01-04-2012, 12:59 AM

Thanks 5 Fans, I appreciate you comments.

Quick Reply: New Shoes (Falken Rocky Mountain Tires)