PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New Rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Default New Rims

Hi there!
I purchased some rims from a company who had bought out the over flow from a Hummer dealer that was closing. He was told they would fit the H3 buy the shop guy. He had them on E Bay. Anyways, we called and talked for awhile and decided to purchase them. They are Weld Racing rims and totally loved them. So..they were shipped and this past week had my dealer put them on. Loved them more...left the dealers and heard a small noise in the front passenger side wheel area. Then it got a little louder. Took it to a mall parking lot and went backwards and forwards and did slow circles back and forth...in low speed turning to the right I really heard a rubbing noise. Thought maybe it was the caliper that was bad..long story short..took it to the dealer and the caliper is rubbing on my tire. I'm not going to put in spacers, which I know you "can" do, and not going to shave them which I know you "can" do as well... The dealer didn't recommend using spacers and not sure why. Luckily the company we bought the rims from will refund our money and shipping and what it cost for the dealer to switch them which is very cool. Do you have any suggestions on websites/dealers that I might check out for chrome rims for my H3? Still have the stock tires so 16". Seems hard to find. Thanks!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:58 PM

i had a hard time finding good 18" for my factory rims, i would've thought the 16"s would be easier to find

Old 04-08-2012, 09:11 AM

I'm now thinking instead of getting new rims for the stock size tires, to just wait and get bigger tires like I originally wanted. Any suggestions as to a good size that i might get that won't create problems trying to find rims? Not much to choose from with the stock 16's plus I like the looks of the bigger tires personally. Sorry for all the questions. Haven't had my hummer long and wanted to bling it out a little. I was very disappointed that the new rims didn't fit with caliper rub. Thinking a bigger tire might give me more wheel choices and not have to worry about the caliper. I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about, but hopefully you can read through my confusion..thanks!

Old 04-08-2012, 04:47 PM

I took the Chrome Hummer ones off and bought these VTecs. I love them..They are 16's. I have 265/75/16 inch tires on them... I heard you have more options in 18's. But then you lose MPG and I think the truck is more wobbly then.. I was going to buy this other H3 but it had a 3 inch lift and bigger tires.. I did not like the feel.. I love the feel of mine, and the center of gravity is better... Here is a pic.. My spare is the same...

Attached Thumbnails New Rims-014rs.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 AM

How does anyone feel about shaving the caliper a minor amount? The guy at the dealer said he would do it, but the dealer owner (also my neighbor) said he didn't think it was a good idea. I think based on they don't want to be liable. I talked to a wrench friend who said he'd shave them for me..that's what he would do. Then called my dad..mechanic and wrench for over 40 years said he'd shave them too if it was just a small amount to make the clearance. I'm thinking about going this route.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pappibri
I took the Chrome Hummer ones off and bought these VTecs. I love them..They are 16's. I have 265/75/16 inch tires on them... I heard you have more options in 18's. But then you lose MPG and I think the truck is more wobbly then.. I was going to buy this other H3 but it had a 3 inch lift and bigger tires.. I did not like the feel.. I love the feel of mine, and the center of gravity is better... Here is a pic.. My spare is the same...
Very nice! I love the rims I have and thinking to just shave the calipers now after talking with a couple more wrenches...

Old 04-09-2012, 06:23 PM

That is what I would do.. I am sure they will still be within spec... Shave away.....

Old 04-09-2012, 11:30 PM

IF it is only a slight shave, then by all means "Shave the calipers"!

The calipers do not rotate with the wheel/tire/brake assembly so shaving them will not hurt anything balance wise. Shaving them too much may get you into structural issues but I'm sure they won't have to be shaved more than 1/8".

Old 04-10-2012, 09:22 AM

Thanks everyone I grabbed my truck yesterday and going to have them shaved tomorrow. I can see the caliper now that it's home and where it's rubbing. Looks like they are just touching, so a little grind should do the trick!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 PM

Let us know how it works out for ya HummerGirl..

Quick Reply: New Rims