PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

new radiator new hose...leaking at clamp

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Default new radiator new hose...leaking at clamp

Just bought 07 H3 that dealer had installed new radiator and new hoses on. after about a week there was coolant leaking from the top hose at the radiator. I pushed the hose about another 1/8 inch to the stops on the radiator and tightened the clamp a bit tighter than it had been. That seemed to fix it...no signs of any coolant...until today...about a week later...very slight signs of a leak on the top of the radiator right under where the hose attaches. The dealer used a standard clamp with the worm gear. A mechanic at the dealership suggested i use the spring type clamp that comes as standard equipment.

Any suggestions? I've never had a hose leak when it was new, properly attached and well tightened. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:33 PM

Seems to me that they should be fixing the leak of the parts they just installed rather than suggesting how you might fix it. Stand your ground as a paying customer.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
Seems to me that they should be fixing the leak of the parts they just installed rather than suggesting how you might fix it. Stand your ground as a paying customer.
I'm thinking the same thing. You just bought it from them, they should be willing to show some good will.

Worm gear clamps SUCK, if you over tighten they WILL damage your hose.

I'm no fan of spring clamps, but they do work.

If it were my truck, I'd use what I am using .... for my in hose Efan control temp sensor, the old Vibrant 2789 T Bolt with floating bridge. Yeah, they are overkill, but failure rate is near a zero as you can get.

Pic from this ebay listing, and you can find them cheaper I just ain't goin shopping right now. Vibrant 2789 T Bolt Hose Clamps 1 75" to 2 10" 2 PK | eBay