PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New with Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 07:30 AM
Question New with Questions

Hi! My name is Eric and I just picked up an 05 H2 SUT with 101,000 on the ODO. I sold a very nice triple turbo'd Dmax and this was one of my toys I bought with the money. Found it at a big dealership in VA for 19K.. very well taken care of, no rust, loaded with every option hummer made, Airaid intake, new gibson exhaust, Rockford speakers and sub with stock head unit, etc..

Ive done some searching on here and can't find exactly what I"m looking for. I've been an Admin on duramaxforum.com for a LONG time.. so I'm familiar with the "search" haters

1. Looking for a head unit to replace the stock NAV one. After calling a couple places, they all say that there is a big bar that stops 90% of the Double DINs from fitting.. is this true? I wanted a Pioneer X4500BT, but I'm told it won't fit. Any suggestions on if it will? Or any other better Double DINs?

2. Looking to get new wheels.. keeping the stock BFGoodrichs, as they are brand new.. So I want 17 inch wheels.. but I don't want them to stick out far enough to beat up the paint.. I ran 20X10's on 35X12.50's for years, and my paint hated me.. So what backspace/offset can I run that will look nice, but not push my tires out far enough to do damage?

3. Want to remove the spare tire and carrier.. Suggestions on a license plate mount? cheapest I found was 400.00.. seems kind pricey for a license plate mount. Also, that extender piece for the tow hitch is welded in.. am I gonna have to replace the entire tow hitch?

4. Are there any "common" issues with the H2's I should be aware of? Warning signs for failure of any sort? I've noticed a scraping/hissing sound that comes from the engine bay between 15% and 30% throttle, but goes away at high throttle or very low throttle. Is that just my aftermarket intake? Or a leak? I've drove a diesel for years, so all these sounds are new to me.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:52 AM

Congrats on your H2 SUT purchase! 19k is a great price, I am sure you have a lot planned for your new toy. Here are some answers to your questions..

1. All the double din radios will fit flush, just need to cut out the small bar at the back of the radio housing. Easy to do, wont make a difference when its gone other than more room for your new head unit.

2. Go with a 8' to 9" wide 17" rim with a zero offset, you will keep within the factory wheel well opening with the stock BFG tire no problem.

3. You can put your license plate on the tailgate if you buy a frame with a license light included, that is what I did on my SUT way back. You can also go with a License plate relocation kit as in the link below. The rear hitch mount will be no problem once the tire carrier is removed.

REALWHEELS TIRE CARRIER ELIMINATOR KIT/ 2005-2010 HUMMER H2 & SUT

4. As for problems some experience none and some do. Mine had a sunroof leak "pinched drain hose" and the power steering pump had to be changed out twice. Both common for any H2 or SUT. I recommend that you search this forum for threads that other posted about issues that have had, I am sure there are many so be prepared for some good reading time.

Last edited by Circuitguy; 11-30-2013 at 09:08 AM.